Hi *waves*

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hi! I just introduced myself on the sticky, but I thought I'd expound a little. I'm hoping to meet some nice ladies that are going through some of the same things that I'm going through

I have a 7 month old little girl, Hannah, who is developing typically, and a 2.5 year old little boy named Cade that has speech, adaptation and cognitive delays. I'm not sure how much I buy into the cognitive delay at this point, but the speech delay is pretty obvious/ severe. It's uncomfortable when random people at church or at the store try to talk to him/ interact with him in some way and I end up doing all his talking, making excuses as to why he isn't responding, etc. I guess because he looks typical and is an energetic little boy, people are confused when he isn't delighted to talk to them. (Anyone have tips on this, or do you guys do the "He's tired right now" dance too?)

I'm really encouraged by all the progress we've made in our 6 months in Early Intervention. He's making more eye contact, has words for his favorite foods & uses them to request that food, and is letting others into his play. On the other hand, I can definitely say that I never expected that I'd be simultaneously teaching both my 7 month old and my 2 year old to say and use 'mama'. Someone that I gave birth to is going to call me mama if it's the last thing I do

Anyway, nice to meet you all!
September 11th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Hi, your son sounds allot like mine, it is so frustrating, people try to talk to him, ask him his name, and various questions to which he just ignores them and continues to run and be his happy, silly lil self, I usually just tell them he does not talk much, I have two boys with autism so at this point I have gotten used to the disbelieving looks and judgement that comes from strangers and even from people we know.
My son is 3 1/2 and he also has been learning words lately to use in requesting his favorite foods, such as jerky for slim jims, chip, cookie, and drink, it's rather difficult to understand some of the words he says, and still very hard to understand what he wants or needs, and even more difficult to to make him understand what we need them to do.
So welcome and hope to get to know you

September 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Welcome to the board.

September 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I just tell people flat out that my oldest has Autism, and she will not respond to them. Most of the time I get people telling me "how smart" those kids are. Those same people go on to say that she will outgrow it. Apparently Autism isn't a mental disability, it's a PHASE.

My 19 month old talks more than my 5 year old, but thankfully, Alice seems to be understanding more. We can ask her now where specific things are in the house, and many times she will go to get them. She's completely potty trained as well.

It is sad how we get her homework in the afternoon, and it's stuff like the letter "B" book. Read it to her, try to get her to make the B sound. She will look at me, her little sister will say "B."

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search