Need Help - Nutrition support for son in K with IEP

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Hi all - I'm new to the board. I need help!!! My almost 6 year old son started K in the fall (on schedule) in a regular school. Has an IEP (speech 2x/week, OT 1x/week, pulled out of class each day for a "learning reinforcement" class), has an aide in class to guide through day/assist with certain tasks. He is a busy guy!

His main issues are comprehension (expressive/receptive language skills), sensory issues (tactile - needs deep pressure/input during day/nite - helps to "reset" his system and helps him relax). Has trouble focusing sometimes (not always, but when distracted needs to be redirected), etc.

It is almost full day K (til 1:00pm). About 2-3 days/week he cannot make it past 12:30 (starts tuning out, expresses he is tired, etc). He has snack about 10:30-11:00 then lunch at home. He gets 10-11 hrs sleep/nite (recommended for age is 11). He eats a good snack and enough of it (cheese stick, yogurt, pretzels, fruit, etc), but was wondering if there were any tips/nutrition tricks for giving him a huge boost at snack to try to help him make it through the end of the day?

The teacher has expressed concern for "next year" (1st grade) - the kids go to 3:00 (other school districts have 1/2 day K - out by 11:45 and they will sail right into 1st grade!!! Very frustrating..). She said it could be his maturity. I'm not jumping the gun here but I want to try to do everything I can so he can advance. He is a VERY smart child and is 100% doing great with the ciriculuum. I cannot see him learning the same things next year. I had spoken to the MD about it (asking if he was lacking a vitamin, etc) and he said it's probably more due to his workload. He takes a daily multi, eats & sleeps well. He does stay at school later 1x/week (until 3:00) and after lunch he is right back into it and GREAT the rest of the day.

Any advice / opinions would be very much appreciated!
March 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think it has anything to do with the dairy?
March 4th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Hi Jennifer what do you mean like an allergy or does dairy make you tired? He doesn't eat dairy everyday for snack was just giving a few examples. Let me know I would change things up for sure if there is something w dairy. Thanks!!!

Just to add he does have tree nut / peanut allergies.
March 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read that something in dairy can make you tired. I wish I could offer more advice.
March 24th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Anything with wheat can make you tired. Since our wheat has been genetically altered, the gluten in it can make our bodies very tired. Does he have school daily or is he only going 2-3 days a week? DD1 was only going every 3 days when she was younger. I'm asking because it might just be that he gets up so early that by noon he needs a nap. 5-6 year olds often need a nap during the day, and in Louisiana they are required to give them one in K by law. My advice would be to slowly push back his bedtime, 15 min a day, till he's going to bed 30-60 min earlier to see if that helps. We had to start making DD1 go to bed at 7 PM. She wakes up at 6:30, and still seems tired some days. She also eats a lot of gluten, though. Picky eater. He should outgrow the need for that much sleep. Give him a year or so. HTH!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search