sorry gone for so long, daughters speech has taken a wonderful turn!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello. My daughter was at a point where most people including me and my husband, could not make out what she was saying and when she talked, she would not say more than 1 or 2 words and now she can talk in 7 word sentences and evreyone can tell what she is saying. It is amazing! Her worker from our progress center keeps saying to me" wow she is doing so good with her speech"! and today, after a nice cashier gave her something, kaitlyn said thank you very much, and the cashier said..you are a very smart girl! That made me so happy to hear.I am just so amazed at how far she has come. You almost would not know that she is delayed in speech anymore. It has gone from severe to moderate.We still have the problem of her not wanting to use the bathroom and she will be 5 on Nov. 6th. We have tried everything. I am thinking I might buy her another new potty to re-capture her interest. If anyone has any ideas, let me know please. I will try to be on here frequently like I use to be. Hope everyone's kids are doing well. Take care, From Alisha.
October 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Regular
Alisha, what a cutie you have!! I am so happy that she is doing so well. I have a severly speech delayed almost four year old step son, and have had almost the same miraculous advancement in his speech. We still notice though that he is not making connections that he should at four, and that his attention span is REALLY short. He also is very specific about what and when he will eat.....more than normal I think? Do you have any of those issues? Also, can you tell me what pograms you have Kaitlyn in? Are you doing speech therapy, developmental preschool,combination?

As far as the potty thing. The only thing I can tell you about that is what worked for me with my three boys. When it was time to train, I took their diapers off and let them run free!! If they needed to go, they figured it out pretty quick that going in the potty was better than in their pants or on the floor. Of course you have to monitor and continue to ask them if they want to try and go, and in the carseat is not a good idea, but for the most part, it happened pretty quick when they figured it out.

Sometimes, the issue is not the issue. It's more about control or lack there of. Kaitlyn may feel a lack of control in other aspects of her life (ie, speech, communication) , so she controls what she can control, which is her potty activities.

Good luck, and please let me know what you think is working right with the speech issue. We have a difference of opinion about this with the ex, his mom, and we are trying to figure it all out. What would you say is the biggest factor in her develpement, if you know it that is.

thanks, and good luck in your journey!

Suzette (proud mom of Daylin, Asher and Spencer)
October 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Alisha, what a cutie you have!! I am so happy that she is doing so well. I have a severly speech delayed almost four year old step son, and have had almost the same miraculous advancement in his speech. We still notice though that he is not making connections that he should at four, and that his attention span is REALLY short. He also is very specific about what and when he will eat.....more than normal I think? Do you have any of those issues? Also, can you tell me what pograms you have Kaitlyn in? Are you doing speech therapy, developmental preschool,combination?

As far as the potty thing. The only thing I can tell you about that is what worked for me with my three boys. When it was time to train, I took their diapers off and let them run free!! If they needed to go, they figured it out pretty quick that going in the potty was better than in their pants or on the floor. Of course you have to monitor and continue to ask them if they want to try and go, and in the carseat is not a good idea, but for the most part, it happened pretty quick when they figured it out.

Sometimes, the issue is not the issue. It's more about control or lack there of. Kaitlyn may feel a lack of control in other aspects of her life (ie, speech, communication) , so she controls what she can control, which is her potty activities.

Good luck, and please let me know what you think is working right with the speech issue. We have a difference of opinion about this with the ex, his mom, and we are trying to figure it all out. What would you say is the biggest factor in her develpement, if you know it that is.

thanks, and good luck in your journey!

Suzette (proud mom of Daylin, Asher and Spencer)[/b]
She is in speech therapy and has been for a few years and was in daycare 3 days a week, which we recently stopped as she was having seizures at daycare and we were not being told as well as our friend was not ID'ed when he picked her up for the first time and was allowed to take her.She is in a preschool drop in group on wednesday afternoons at our progress center for children with special needs. She also has a progress worker come about twice a month for home vistits and she does reading and learning games with her.About the potty thing, I tried for 1 month putting underwear and plastic pants on her and she did not even let us know when she was soaked so that didn't work. I also did try the no diaper/ pull up thing and nothing. I think she is regressing in this way. I hope she gets it soon. She did go for 1 week straight during the day for her bladder early last year so I know she can do it. I hope things work out well with your situation. From Alisha.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search