Stressed about his schooling again

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi ladies,

A couple weeks ago we had a meeting with Hunter's teacher, therapists, etc., to place a change into his IEP because he is required to take tests this year. The change were a quieter setting, no distractions and a scribe to write for him.

Yes, I know his printing is terrible, and maybe I'm just being over protective/sensitive again, because I can't help it when it comes to Hunter, but knowing that a scribe is in place for the big tests, why is the teacher so ###### hard on him with the weekly tests? He had to write out a three sentence paragraph. He made some mistakes with capitals and commas, but she marked him off for two words being too close together, that she couldn't read what he wrote, etc.

Also, on a math test, they have to fold thier lined paper in eigth's and write against the printed lines, and she's marking him off for his math problems being all over the place and she can't read them? How the heck is he supposed to keep his numbers straight if he's writing against the lines?? She wrote a sentence saying he wouldn't have skipped number 18 if he had numbered his problems, but that tells me that she wasn't there with him when he started his test to make sure he understood what he was supposed to do. KWIM? Yes, she put him in the front of the class, but it doesn't sound like she's taking that extra step she needs to to help him do the best he can. She may have given the directions right in front of him, but he could have been stimming and not paying attention. If she had bent down and said, Number this (and point to it) problem 1, and the next 2, and so on so you won't miss any...only takes a few seconds and will make a big difference in the final result.

Also, on a reading and thinking test about problems, solutions and consequences, questions like this, What is the first step to solve a problem? are hard for him. According to the test, Identifying the problem is the answer, but Hunter says, not in these words, but I understood what he meant, that the problem is already known, because problem is in the sentence (I think, he still has a hard time putting words together to tell me), so he says the first step is to Gather Information.

Hubby says I should call a meeting and discuss my concerns, however, the thinking test I probably can't get changed because test makers don't understand that a person with autism thinks differently than a typical kid. OTOH, I think I'm just making a big deal about it because I don't like seeing Hunter get bad grades because it really does bring him down (and me).

What are your opinions?

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

October 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would definately talk to his teacher about your concerns. Just a thought, does he have a 1:1 aide? Maybe if the teacher is not taking the time to give explicit directions for Hunter, a 1:1 aide will be very beneficial. Her (or his) purpose will be to soley interact with HUnter, make sure he understands, gives him the additional directions, and helps with things like that. Alexis has a 1:1 aide, partly due to her visual impairment, she has no safety awareness, no depth perception, and has difficulty holding a pencil to write (plus with the no depth perception her letters all end up on top of each other). She also has a feeding disorder and isn't potty trained. Her aide has made a big difference in her schooling. After a certain amount of time in the group work (She's erquired to participate for a certain amount of time) if she is having difficulties, the aide will remove her and work on skills individually. Once she's calmed down, the aide returns her to the group work. It's just a thought and it may help eliviate some of your concerns.
October 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I asked for one when he went into Kindergarten and again when his small school closed and he entered a classroom with 32 students. I was told no, that he's too high functioning. After an incident with the Kindergarten teacher, an aide was placed in the room for the rest of the year. I thought it was to help Hunter, but apparently the teacher wanted one for her own "personal reasons", whatever the heck that means.

I'm meeting with the teacher tomorrow morning and will mention and aide at that time.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

October 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That really sucks. Let us know how the meeting goes.
October 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM
The meeting was canceld, rescheduled for Monday morn.

October 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I asked for one when he went into Kindergarten and again when his small school closed and he entered a classroom with 32 students. I was told no, that he's too high functioning. After an incident with the Kindergarten teacher, an aide was placed in the room for the rest of the year. I thought it was to help Hunter, but apparently the teacher wanted one for her own "personal reasons", whatever the heck that means.

I'm meeting with the teacher tomorrow morning and will mention and aide at that time.[/b]
They said "no" because they didn't want to pay for it. It really has nothing to do with how high functioning they think he is or not. At least thats always been our experience and the experience of other parents we know who have special needs chidlren in school. If you think your child needs a service he isn't recieving, you really have to be very pushy. Its their job to challenge you and save $$.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search