Advice please

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just popping in, and I had a few questions if anyone can help. My son is 27months old and he's being sent for his first autism consultation at the end of this month. Here's a little info on Cameron.

He does not speak words at all. He does mumble them in the back of his throat (sort of like humming) but you can't understand what he's saying.

He's very affectionate and understands when you speak to him and listens well.

He does not play with toys like "normal" he sits and moves them from one side of his body to the other continually.

He also does this thing we call it his tai-chi. He slowly moves things across his face looking away but still watching it (if that makes sense). It's very slow and calculated movements.

He's very attentive to colors. He will sometimes organize his blocks by color or ask me to repeat colors over and over again.

He loves books and will sit still easily to read books.

He is not overactive, actually he's almost the opposite. For a 2 year old he's pretty calm.

He loves to dance and tries to sing along to videos (again in the back of his throat) but he can change tone.

I don't know if he is autistic or to what degree. I know if you catch it early on there's a better chance that they can work through it. But I don't know much about the testing process and I'm not really convinced he is autistic so I don't want to put him through difficult testing.

Any thoughts on Cameron or the testing would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
November 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really had a lot of advice but I think its great that you are taking him in for an eval. as it does sound like he might be somewhere on the spectrum. Its a definite plus that he is affectionate and attentive.
As my dd wasn't tested for autism when she was that young, I'm not sure what tests they will be doing but some of the other ladies who pop in might be able to give you some idea.
He's a cutie.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Regular
Hi,

Our son Tommy is 11. He was diagnosed with severe Autism when he was 4. The test consisted of 600 questions my husband and I answered together regarding Tommy's various character traits. They were all multiple choice or rating between 1 and 10 and asked by a psychologist. The results for the test could either be negative or into one of 3 stages of positive: mild, moderate or severe.

We have heard that a simple test is, at about age 1, to stand beside the child and say his/her name. If the child responds by turning to look at you, then he/she may not be into the severe range on the scale. Early detection is key. Children in the spectrum respond best to treatment before the age of six. At present, there is only one accepted therapy with a long successful track record. It's called ABA.

We're totally in love with our little Tommy. He operates on about a 4 year old level, full of play and pretend. He's adorable!

I wish all the best for you and Cameron. It sounds like you have a real little sweetie there.

Cheers!

Cynde
November 10th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Kyra656's Avatar Super Mommy
Your son sounds like mine....the moving of toys from front to behind him. He is obsessed with shapes, numbers and letters. I suspect something but...I am not sure as well..

November 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We have heard that a simple test is, at about age 1, to stand beside the child and say his/her name. If the child responds by turning to look at you, then he/she may not be into the severe range on the scale.[/b]
Surely this is not all they would do for the test to determine if a child has autism or not at age 1. This must be in addition to other symtpoms.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. It's all a little overwhelming. Deep down we're hoping he's just cute and quirky. Lots of kids don't talk until they're older (or so we're told). I'm glad to know that Cameron himself won't be subjected to direct testing. Hopefully he's fine but if not I'm glad we are getting him checked early.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search