Therapy ideas.....

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm from the school of thought that I can scare the big bad autism monster and make him leave us alone. so far its working. My son, at 14 and 15 months was equated with a caged animal by our pedi. all he did was pace back and forth with is head down, spin in circles, or shake his head violently and mumble dadadadadadadadadadada or bababababababababababababa and that's it! Now.....1 year later.....thanks to EI and me doing therapy literally more than 8 hours every day 99% can't single him out from a group. Even dr's and therapists can't pick him from the group. 2 speechers and his nutritionist are hopeful that the dx will be taken away in the coming years. But after a year of non stop therapy I'm running out of ideas! Anyone want to share some fun and creative ideas and activities?

We of course do the everyday life stuff where I see opportunity to teach him something and I go for it. Like if he wants candy before jst giving it tohim he has to ask for it either verbally or using signs. After doing this for the past 2 months he now says I want ________ when ever he wants something. And then says thank you when he gets it. We sign songs, and I read read read read read, and whatever I'm doing or he's doing I am telling him all about it and repeating key words. I make up songs about what we are doing since he responds so well to music. We hav a button your shirt song, change your diaper song, tie your shoes song.....get my point lol? Even an eating song!

OT and developmental: we do play doh play, lacing beads, blocks, cornstarch, water, mud, sand, dirt, balls, jumping, squeezies where he gets squeezed by everything lol, swinging, finger painting, brush painting, putting golf tee's into floralfoam, hammering nails into the dirt outside, take out and put in activites (also used for speech since it involves following directions and listening) and then just general crafts like taking the guts out of a pumpkin and playing with the seeds. If if caters to the sensory needs or aversions then we do it! He had an aversion to the color green so for a week all he had in his life was green! green toys, green crayons, green forks and spoons, green plates, green food! He likes green now! Another few days all he watned was crunchy foods so all I served him was softer foods. he loses foods a lot so we try to nip it when he gets more picky. That worked though. I know of one lady who was treating alittle girl who had tactile issues....she taped sandpaper all around the poor kids sippy cup! If the kid wanted a drink she HAD to touch the paper! It worked, she has no issues with it now.

Anyone else have any good ideas or things that have helped them?

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!
December 21st, 2007, 12:06 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I always meant to respond to this post but couldn''t think of anything you hadn't either already done or were doing! Guess it all paid off!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
December 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you can scare the autism monster away. I tried that too and it's still there at 11 and every child will respond differently to different approaches. It's all definitely trial and error, we've taken blindingly spectacular leaps forwards only to take as blindingly spectacular leaps backwards at times too. My son is AMAZING at 11, he is in mainstream school, lots of friends who like him for him not because they feel sorry for him and was just voted as a Sports Captain for next year (it's the last year of primary school for him next year) which is a major position in his school. But he does still have autism, he toe walks, stims (he races home from school and goes straight into his room for 1/2 an hour to do his thing but has learnt not to do it at school at all) and can be very aggressive. Given how bad his autism was as a little boy we are all just lucky that he came out of the fog as well as he has. I have friends I have known since the diagnosis whose boys were as severe as my son was and they haven't progressed at all, they are in special school, one still isn't toilet trained and they did a ton more therapy than I ever did, a couple mortgaged their houses to run ABA programs that cost $40,000 a year here to do and still the changes have been very small.

I'm not saying don't do therapy and early intervention because it is a must, do all you can but don't set yourself up for upset and blame (for yourself) if you can't scare it away. Just do the best you can, be kind to yourself, when it gets too much (and it will at times) it's ok to take a break, some time out for yourself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search