New...Son, 2, speech delay

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Regular
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to dealing with a delay. My son, who will be 2 in Dec., has just been referred to a speech pathologist for speech/language delay. He does not speak, just gestures (he does babble). He has a pretty extensive medical history, including tube and adenoid surgery this past March. His initial evaluation is next Wednesday. I am very frustrated and extremely sad over my son being labeled as delayed now. He is sooo bright and understands every word I say, but just cannot verbalize words himself. My husband is worried about the effects this will have on him longterm and in school. I am really looking for support. This is our first child and we don't know what we are facing. Just hearing from other mothers who have been through this will really help. I appreciate any information anyone can share. Thank you in advance, Liz.
November 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi there. You will find support here. Ask anything you want. Many of us have been through it. I felt the same way you did. It was my first child that had the delays. I was sad, devastated, and worried about the future. I didnt have anyone to talk to and never knew anyone with a child that had delays. It was all new to me.

My son was referred for a speech evaluation at age two. He only said 5 words at age two. He started getting speech therapy at 27 months. Then they said he needed occupational therapy too so he started that. He started special ed preschool at age three. The therapy really helped. At age 5 he tested in the normal range for speech and small motor skills. I was given the good news that he could attend regular kindergarten and would not need any more therapy. He made the honor roll and principals list every grading period in Kindergarten. He is now in 1st grade and has made the honor roll already. Very smart little guy. It took and lot of blood sweat and tears but he is fine now.

Let us know how the evaluation goes. Its possible that his medical history could be a factor. Its hard to tell. Anything you want to talk about, I will try to help.
December 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Regular
I've just wandered in here too. My son also has a minor speech delay, about where your son is at, it sounds like. At 2 he was saying only a couple words. He communicated almost entirely with gestures, but could do a really good job of it.

He also had surgery, although a different one. He was born with saggital craniosynostosis, which is where the soft spot on the top of the head is already fused.

Now that he's talking (2 years, 9.5 months), he is clearly very, very bright. Knows his entire alphabet, in and out of order, counts to at least 15 and is very much into the details of objects. Still doesn't speak clearly, but it is becoming quite clear that expressive language is likely to be the only problem. Comprehension is above average for his age. He tells me he wants to learn to fly both airplanes and helicopters when he grows up. He's even trying to learn to read already because he sees his older sister doing so.

When he turns 3, my son has to start in the speech therapy program through the public schools, which I'm dreading a little. I don't want them labeling him with that for any longer than necessary. I really think that it's for the best in the long run.

One thing that helps to remember is that a lot of children do have delays, and with or without therapy get over them. I have a cousin who didn't talk at all until she was 3. She never had therapy, and now has no problems. But if you can give your child this help now, you are making sure that if by some chance there is a problem he is getting help as early as possible. Most times there won't be any actual problems, just a minor delay that goes away.

In my case I did have to worry about the potential of actual problems, since the craniosynostosis increased the odds of that. But we're doing great now, and the speech therapy is really a small thing in a lot of ways compared to what we could have faced.

December 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*pops in*

Hi, I saw this post and needed to look at it. My son will be 2 in February and he hardly talks either. He babbles like crazy, knows his body parts, colors, and farm animals, can follow commands, but dang it he just doesn't feel the need to talk. He still signs when he wants milk and the rest of the time it's a lot of pointing and saying, "eehhh" to tell me what he wants.
Just wondering wanting some feed back if anyone is in a similar situation. He's my one and only child so I'm not sure if this is within the "normal" range. I know boys younger than him who will say 2- or 3-word sentences (Here it is. All done. etc.)

Thanks!
December 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Regular
From what I understand, it's not that uncommon. By the same token, getting an evaluation is not a bad idea, especially if it is free in your area, as it is in mine (San Diego area). Some areas have programs through the city or county or even the public schools. Other areas leave you to your own resources, and insurance may or may not help with the expense.

I haven't read any of them, but I think there are supposed to be some good books on the topic at Amazon too. If there aren't good resources in your area, reading about what you should be doing is a good idea.

January 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
leslie_dawn's Avatar Veteran
I agree with Home with the Kids, at 2 that can all be normal. My youngest nephew (who'll be 4 this month) didn't START talking until he was 3, because he knew he didn't have to. He would just point or grunt and got what he wanted. My sister finally started making him talk to get what he wanted and now he never shuts up! But it's not a bad idea to get your child tested if your really worried that much. Good luck.

</div>

I've been shot by nicolem908

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search