Hunter's IEP Meeting!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi all!

I actually went to Hunter's annual IEP meeting with no requests and/or demands! Hubby's like; Should I even go to the meeting? LOL I like to have him there because he gets this look and tone and people do what he says! LOL

Anyway - I have had two meetings with his teacher since the school year started to talk about what Hunter needs to succeed at school. The teacher is doing awesome! You may remember I was very concerned about the relationship at the beginning of the year.

The teacher writes in the communication notebook EVERY day (although Hunter does forget to bring it home), when she is only req'd to do so 3x's a day. She is even taking the time to see how he's doing/interacting at recess and in the lunch room. By doing this she observed that when the morning routine is messed up, like an assembly or something unannounced happens, he tends to stay by himself and is quiet at recess. But when all is well in the morning, he is interacting with certain boys. She even took the time to learn about the game he was playing with the boys and this ball with a squiggly tail of Hunter's.

I have seen his OT outside of school and after she talks with me about Hunter, she's told me that his teacher is asking her questions and for advice on how to get the best results with Hunter. I am just all warm inside! (I'm such a dork! LOL)

Anyway - this meeting is req'd every year, the school does it on the child's birthday to keep it more organized. We had an "emergency" meeting back in September to get it written in that Hunter needs special consideration for the big tests in grade 3; a scribe, quieter place to take them. Those accomadations probably helped him score at the advanced level on his reading one (he was two points above the Accelerated Level)! Scored 432/518!!

I just wanted to share with you a summarized paragraph of his present levels and functional performace, if you're interested!

Hunter has improved his pragmatic (social) skills and is getting better at initiating, maintaining, and using eye contact during conversation (with occassional cues.) Hunter continues to have some difficulty maintaining auditory focus due to many distractions present within the regular classroom (this skill is much better in a smaller, less distracting setting). Hunter is improving in the skill of inferential thinking (what do you think might happen...) and with explaining word definitions in detail, however, may need cues o help expand his thoughts. Speech services will continue on a consultative basis once per month to address any pragmatic concerns within the regular classroom.

Due to the high demand for written work/projects, Hunter has a tendency to work at a quickened pace. Despite given the additional tools/strategies and repeat verbal prmopts, he lacks the attention to detail (e.g. disconnected letters (a, g,) letters/words/numbers above/below thel ine and/or out of the box) and his written work becomes sloppy and illegible. He is using adaptive materials such as writing paper with the stop/go margins and single boxes for each letter. He also uses graph paper for math work. To compensate for his weak grasp and limited pressure application, he uses a pencil grip, natural lead pencil and/or mechanical pencil for darker symbols. With direct OT instruction and prompts for "neat or repeat", Hunter is able to properly form letters/words. It is recommended that Hunter utilize paraprofessional assist in the regular educational classroom for consistent use of adaptive materials and for transfer/carryover of learned skills. Hunter requires modifications and/or accommodations for academic classroom assignments and testing for successful completion in comparison to same-age peers, (i.e. scribe, extended time, small group, and quiet setting).

Our goals for this year and into the fourth grade are that we would like him to communicate using written methods effectively, with correct sentence structure, to be able to think and write freely without prompts and have more fluent oral expression.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

December 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Oh, I am all warm and fuzzy inside too ! That's so awesome his teacher is really making an effort with him, I heart her
Sounds like he's doing great - gotta love those test scores - yay Hunter!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search