Sleep

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2007, 05:21 AM
orcasb's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies,
I have posted on here before, but it has been a long time.
DO any of you little ones have sleep issues? My Wy (3) has yet to sleep through the night, but lately he will sleep fpr an hour or two and then wake up whining and crying. Nothing appeases him, and he will tell me to "away" which means he wants left alone. Then after a few min he will calm down and go to sleep only to do it all again a few hours later. A few nights ago I just brought him out to the couch so he wouldn't wake everyone else up. I mentioned other sleep issues to his Dr. in Oct, and he just basically said deal with it. THen he was waking up after avout 4 hours sleep and staying awake for hours at a time. His dr basically said to let him play while I try to sleep on the couch. Nice huh? I would almost rather him wake up for long periods then this every few hours for long enough to get me good and awake. Anyone elses little ones go through sleep troubles? Any suggestions lol

December 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are still dealing with sleep issues with my dd. In addition to being autistic, she is also visually impaied. Most kids with her condition septo-optic dysplasia also have sleep problems. For us, she'll go to bed around 8-9 then sleep until 2-3 and wake up and not go back to sleep. Then she will do this for about 3-4 days, get 1 to 2 good nights of sleep and then the whole cycle repeats itself. We have been dealing with this for over 6 months. All the docs we have talked to have told us basically the same thing, deal with it and she will out grow it. I don't really have any advice, because we still have problems too and have not been able to solve them. We are trying a new bed time (later, closer to 9) to see if that helps. But, if not, we are going to contact a sleep disorders clinic and have her evaluated. This is not normal for a 5 year old to get less than 6 hours a night. It may be something you want to look into.
December 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
We have the same kid!
Sometimes a weighted blanket helps him, mostly it helps him with falling asleep, but he moves a lot in his sleep and sometimes he wakes and cant settle down again. I have been doing like your Dr suggested and just resting on the couch and letting him play. I Tivo'd Yo Gabba Gabba and Signing Time, his 2 favorite shows and he plays and watches those for a couple of hours until he winds down again. It's exhausting but if I battle with him over it he has a fit and wakes the whole house, and hubby works with aircraft and needs to be alert, and my 6 year old goes to school, so I don't like to interrupt their sleep. I would love to have a magic solution too!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
December 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just a thought, I haven't had a chance to talk to our ped about it yet, but my dd's special ed teacher mentioned that she had 2 autistic children in the past with sleep problems, similar to what you are describing. Both kids have the same ped, and (s)he put them on a 100% natural herbal supplement containing melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone produced by the body that regulates sleep patterns. In both cases, after starting the supplement, the moms reported back to school that the children where sleeping through the night again. Maybe something to look into.
December 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
^^ I will look into that, thanks!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
December 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hunter would often wake in the night and cry until I came to him. I never knew what was wrong. Since he was non verbal at the time I'd offer him food, drink, check the diaper, etc., etc.. I started playing music in his room, never turned the light on but did give him a night light, and we put glow in the dark stars on his ceiling and other glow in the dark things and toys that light up and twirl. I'd play with those with him for a bit, then he'd play with them by himself, and then eventually fall back asleep. If he woke up again I'd remind him the toys were there, most of the time it worked.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

December 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, sleep issues go pretty much hand in hand with ASD.

Melatonin is always the first port of call, some kids respond really well to it. Try and get it in liquid form if you can because it works much better. We can only get it in tablet form in Australia unless we order it direct from the US. Be aware though that melatonin only works for a short while but it can regulate the sleep in that time and train an ASD kid to sleep through.

We didn't really have any success with melatonin, it worked for a week but that was it.

When my son was 7 and still only sleeping around 2-3 hours of solid sleep a night the ped put him an a medication called Endep. It's an old school anti-depressant which is used for sleep issues in ASD kids. My son took 1/2 a tablet at 6.30pm everynight and was sound asleep in bed at 8.30pm and wouldn't wake again until around 6am. He took it for 7 months and then stopped. He still has that same sleep pattern at aged 11 so it was a great thing to do even though I was a bit concerned about medicating him.

Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search