Potty or toilet?

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I am trying to decide - we are getting serious about TTing - should I get him his own potty, and then transition to the big toilet once we are in a good routine, or should I start with the big toilet for one less transition? What are your experiences?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say go with a potty first especially if your son has any fears of drains, like the bath tub drain etc. I found my ASD son very easy to toilet train, I put cloth nappies on him so that he could feel when he was wet which he hated so he had to use the potty to stay dry.
January 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
He doesn't have any fear of the drain, in fact he loves to run water, and flush the toilet (at home, the noisy ones in restaurants and shops upset him) - he will climb up and sit on the toilet (backwards, facing the tank) and pee if he is running around naked. I don't know about for a bowel movement though - at the moment he goes off and squats as he has since toddlerhood, and when I suggest he come sit on the toilet he always gives me the stop sign and says Wo! (no) . He actually wears cloth diapers part of the time, unfortuantely he does not seem to care if he is wet Does this maybe mean he is not ready to toilet train? I was thinking it's about time - he can hold it, he can understand, follow simple directions, communicate simple needs - it seems like time to get serious. Oh, he will be 4 in February, so he's not drastically behind as I know boys train later... I thought maybe having his own little potty, he might feel more comfortable about going.
I just spent $45 on special underwear-like cloth pull-ups - I hope he's ready!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, at 4 I'd definitely give it a go. As I'm sure you know it's all about repetition, repetition, repetition. Make up a picture chart with step by step instruction on what to do from open the door onwards and have a game with it. We used to have an envelope velcroed onto his picture board and every step we did we would 'post' it in the envelope so it was lots of fun. A good way to have a hygienic picture board for the bathroom is to laminate every picture and use one of those plastic clipboards with bits of velcro stuck on it (the clipboard makes it smaller and easier to use in the toilet).

January 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just started potty training Alexis (she's 5 and 1/2) and we started right with the toilet. We have the little potty seat that fits right in the toilet so she is more comfortable. Part of the reason we went this way was because she's in kindergarten and they can't have a potty chair at school so what we did had to be consistent between home and school and anywhere else we go. It is so much easier to grab the seat than have to lug around a potty chair. It does sound like he's ready, even if he doesn't care if he is wet in the cloth diapers. Alexis could care less about being wet, but we made such a huge deal about going on the potty that she pees every time we put her on the pot. She still has trouble telling us she has to go, but if we put her on the potty she will go. In time, the tellingus will come. We'rte just so excited that she's pretty much out of diapers at home. She still has a little trouble pooping, but we only started the Saturdday before Christmas and it took until this past tues (new years day) to really start getting it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search