Can I make him PT? Should I try?

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Gus simply refuses. He holds his BM and asks for a diaper. He will not go on the toilet. I am worried this will lead to painful BM issues if we don't let him go, so I have been giving in and letting him have a diaper. He will pee in the toilet if I leave him bottomless but not make a BM. But if he has a diaper or trainer on he will pee in that. He gets angry and refuses if I try to get him to sit on the toilet. I am wondering is it too soon? Should I just buy more Fuzzi Bunz and wait 6 months? He is creeping into a size 6 disposables now and since his school has agreed to do cloth I really would love to save buying any more disposables - but I hesitate to buy another half dozen FB if he will train before they pay for themselves. Ugh, I guess no one can help me make my decision, so i guess this is more of a vent than anything. Thanks!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sure it has to be frustrating. Have no advice since I have not BTDT.
January 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This was a very difficult issue for my dd. Like your little guy, she had no problems learning to pee in the potty but did not want to bm in the potty and would hold it, then she would get constipated, then it hurt to bm, endless cycle. We had a lot of crying...she and I both and looking back, I feel I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to have her fully trained because in the end, it set her back and she didn't finish training until she was 6 yrs. old. She was terrified of the toilet for a while We really worked on her diet...making sure she ate a lot of fruit and veggies and just tried to get her to drink as much water as possible. We had to use enemas if she went more than a few days between bm's and that made things even worse for her Eventually what worked was we set specific time of day for her to sit for 15 minutes on the potty and she got a sticker or some sort of reward for just attempting to sit there. Eventually, she became less afraid of the toilet and did her bm's there. She still has constipation issues....I just have to watch her diet and water/liquid intake. I don't know if any of that helped but I understand what you are going through.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Ditto Tammy.

We did A LOT to try to get Hunter to use the toilet, but in the end, he started doing both on his own; peeing when he was 6, pooping at 8. Although, at age 10, he still has small accidents and doesn't think he has to tell someone when it happens. Try the sitting there for small amounts of time with rewards, but if he doesn't want to, I wouldn't force him.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

January 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It took quite awhile for Brandon to be mostly potty trained. He will poop in the toilet if he's wearing undies. If I haven't changed him out of his night diaper yet, he'll poop in there instead of taking it off and going on the toilet (which he can do). We have to remind him to go potty a lot of the time still as well.

I really wish I hadn't pushed him to train. Because of the experience I had with Brandon, I haven't even begun to train Ed. Ed will go pee on the potty occassionally, but I'm not going to even think about actually trying to train him until this summer.

I wouldn't push it. Just let him go when he wants to. It'll eventually come, although there will still probably be accidents every now and then.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search