So frustrated that he's getting them marked wrong!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
You all might remember that Hunter now has special considerations when taking tests. The biggie is that he gets a scribe because his printing is so bad and his hand hurts him. This was put in place specifically for this year because, in the 3rd grade, the children are required to take some important tests, which involves a lot of writing sometimes.

Anyway - Hunter has a spelling test every Friday where the teacher passes out a piece of paper with a 6-8 sentence long paragraph with missing words. She reads it and fills in the blank and the kids write down the word that's missing. Hunter almost always gets the words correct, spelling wise, but he's always getting 2-5 wrong because his letters are too big, so she marks him off because they look like capitols when they should be lower case. His r's look like v's sometimes, so anther point off there.

I sent in a note today asking her to help him remember to take his time and pay attention to how his letters are looking since he's getting them marked wrong. It's explained to me that 3rd grade involves a lot of writing and working on punctuation to get ready for the next years where the focus will be more on what they write than how they write it.

I understand all this, but it's just so frustrating to know that he's getting them marked wrong when he does in fact spell them right and that the teacher/school isn't being consistant in all tests and not just the 3rd grade achievment tests. I sugessted Hunter have a small device that's a cross between typewrite and laptop, but the school wasn't thrilled about that and his OT thinks he'll do better now that they are learning cursive . But he's not going to write his spelling words in cursive.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

January 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HOw frustrating this must be for you. Why isn't his scribe helping him with these? I mean I understand that he has to write or he will never improve, but if the scribe is supposed to be there for tests, why isn't (s)he? It seems like his teacher isn't super understanding either. ((((HUGS)))) Hopefully something will change.
January 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Dibble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a speech pathologist but work with children with several difficulties, including those receiving OT services. Your post just sounds wrong to me. I know different states have different guidelines but a child being marked down because of not perfectly forming letters, especially one receiving OT services, isn't right. I'm assuming your child has an IEP in place so I would call a meeting (you have the right to call a meeting anytime) and sit down with the teacher, OT, and principal to discuss your concerns and what needs to change. Sometimes teachers can be really strict and "old school". They have a difficult time making modifications in the classroom for students who need them. Also, sometimes therapists and teachers don't have the best relationship and really don't talk about the students they share until the IEP meeting. Hope things change for the better soon.

~Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy~
January 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

The teacher actually has come a long way since the beginning of the school year. She wants him to be independent and responsible and all that stuff that typical kids can do, but Hunter isn't typical. If distracted, he forgets what he's supposed to do and either just stands there or moves on to something else.

She replied to my note basically saying that she allows plenty of time for each word and that the test takes over an hour. That's not the answer I wanted to hear. I don't really care about the other children, I want to hear that she's taking a moment to glance at his sheet and remind him that he needs to form his letters correctly so she won't have to mark them wrong. She did say she spoke with his OT about it and that the OT spoke with Hunter. Until just now, I forgot to ask him.

We have a conference first part of next month, and I've already had two morning meetings with her on top of the November conference and the December IEP meeting.

I'll talk it over with my hubby.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

January 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am glad the teacher has come along since the beginning of the school year, but I agree she needs to understand that Hunter isn't typical. He may be able to do typical things, but that does not mean he doesn't need the direct interaction and reminders. His brain works differently than typical kids and sometimes I think teachers forget that. Or think that we've had some really great days, so he doesn't need it any more, or if I penalize him it will make him better remember. *SIGH* There are no easy answers, but let us know how things go.
January 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Urgh, sounds like a bit of a nightmare. If your son is having that much difficulty with handwriting (mine does too, he is going into 6th grade this year) then I would demand that he be allowed to use a laptop or one of those other things (I know what you mean but can't remember the name). I have no doubt that when my son goes to highschool in Yr 7 that we will be buying him a laptop to use because he simply can't write fast enough or neatly enough. It's a common problem for ASD kids and the teacher sounds like she doesn't get it at all.
January 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have it put in his IEP that he is NOT to be marked wrong because this is part of his autism....not him being lazy or not trying hard enough. Handwriting/printing is a skill that is extremely difficult for kids on the spectrum and they should have accomodations made for them in this area. Here's a link that might be helpful. The part about handwriting skills is down on #13
http://www.teacch.com/highfunction.html
I would probably do some research to further support the use of a keyboard program for him, print out the paperwork and take it in to the school and have it added in to his IEP. I realize that we all want our children to be as "normal" as possible but sometimes trying to make them act and do things like the average child is putting too much stress on them.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Quote:
I would have it put in his IEP that he is NOT to be marked wrong because this is part of his autism....not him being lazy or not trying hard enough. Handwriting/printing is a skill that is extremely difficult for kids on the spectrum and they should have accomodations made for them in this area. Here's a link that might be helpful. The part about handwriting skills is down on #13
http://www.teacch.com/highfunction.html
I would probably do some research to further support the use of a keyboard program for him, print out the paperwork and take it in to the school and have it added in to his IEP. I realize that we all want our children to be as "normal" as possible but sometimes trying to make them act and do things like the average child is putting too much stress on them.[/b]
Thanks for the link, I'm going to print it and send it in to his teacher. When I do this, my hubby tells me I'm telling the teacher what to do, how to do her job, and she's not going to like that. I don't think I am, and if she feels that way, tough. She has no certification in autism, and even then, I'd share with her things I think will help her work better with my child.

January 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I don't think you are teling her how to do her job, you are not a pushy parent of a regular kid trying to tell her how to teach her class, you are simply asking her to make an allowance in how she marks for your special needs child - big difference IMO.
Good luck!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search