Worried mother here...

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
NikonChick's Avatar Veteran
Hello everyone. I want to say that i've read most of the discussion on this board, and i think that you are all very strong, smart women, and I admire the lengths that you are willing to go to to get the best treatment and information for your children.

I have a few questions...first off, I'll go ahead and admit to being a major worrier. As in "was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder"-level worrier. It's my family's pasttime. lol

anyway, I have a wonderful 7 month old daughter, and she is my only child, and I've not been around many other children to compare her to. So I don't know if her behaviors are normal or not. And the more i read, the more I find that there are signs of ASD that are noticeable early in life. She is completely affectionate, interactive, and talkative. She smiles at strangers and loves to be around people (unless she's tired). there are a few things that worry me, however:

-Sometimes she actively avoids eye contact. You can turn her to look at you, and she won't do it. It's almost like a game for her. She is SO interested in other things, sometimes she just won't look at me (or anyone). Other times, she is completely engaging, laughing and responding to people. It's odd.

-She's a bigtime arm flapper when she's excited. I don't know the difference between stimming and normal excited baby arm-flapping, though.

-She will only sleep in a crib if she's covered by a heavy blanket. I read online that people with autism generally have to be covered with something heavy to calm them down enough to sleep. We also had to keep her tightly swaddled so she'd sleep until she was almost 5 months old.

-she was slow to roll over- only started doing it consistently at around 6 months. Her pediatrician was unconcerned and attributed it to her hatred of tummytime and her big booty (she's a chunky little girl). She is only now starting to show any interest in crawling and usually ends up faceplanting and getting mad.
This site kind of freaked me out, because she sits for long periods of time on her own, but shows no "protective" reflexes if she falls over.

Other behaviors:
She talks a lot (mama, etc.), and is engaging (you say "where's that dog?" and she'll point at the dog, etc.). She loves to play on her own or with others. She's breastfed (although we're introducing solids now, and it's going ok), and can be fairly attached to me if she's tired. I'm delaying her vaccines and she's only had a few of them (DTP and flu shot), they didn't seem to affect her.

Do any of these things sound like something to keep an eye on or get another opinion about? I am SUCH a worrier that my DH is of course convinced that it's in my head that she's different at all. Thanks in advance ladies.
January 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure if children show signs of Autism that young. I have heard that it usually starts appearing closer to the age of two but I could be wrong. I am sure one of the lovely ladies here should know. If you are concerned give Early Intervention a call.

I do not have much advice because we are getting Jay evaluated next month.
January 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say she's developing perfectly normally and not to worry about it at this stage.
January 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would try to curb the worrying as much as possible for now because at this age, its really hard to tell. I might either print out this thread or write down your concerns and file it away in case you need it for future reference if you still think she's delayed in the future though. I realize its hard to not worry because I'm a worrier by nature too...have GAD and a bit of social anxiety so I can relate.

Just wanted to add that my 8 yr. old was one that didn't roll over until she was 6 months old...she also hated tummy time and was a chunk. Didn't really show much interest in crawling for a while but rolled everywhere once she learned how...around 7 1/2 to 8 months. She was a late talker(didn't say too many words until around 2 yrs.) and when she was about 18 months old, would throw a fit when lining up her crayons and they didn't line up neatly I was a little freaked out over all of those things but she's a pretty average child.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
She sounds like a normal baby to me Try not to worry mama - but it's good you are keeping an eye on her development! I didn't even notice the sign with my guy until they were pointed out to me...

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Real quick -

Kids with autsim at birth show a lot of stiffness, arching their back and such. Your girl sounds perfect to me!

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

January 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
NikonChick's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone.
i still don't know what to think, and i'm afraid I'm projecting things on to her that might not be there.

That said, she does exhibit some strange tendencies that are addressed in this article, but it could be my insane-o worry taking over again. I'll continue to monitor her, and I sure do appreciate all your comments.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search