Hi

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
I posted on here a while back about a little boy in my daycare class who might possibly be autistic. Well, after talking with Mom, and anwering any questions that she had when it was time for his Class Assesment, I guess it finally sank in that he may have Autism. I told her that both my co-worker in the room, and I have experience with Austistic children, and would LOOOOOOVE to work with "M&M"(dont want to use his real name)

So, after a while, she started talking to some people about helping him getting properly assesed and so a lady comes to our class once a week to observe M&M. The lady is sweet, and M&M knows that she is there because the first day, he made some AMAZING eye contact, and I praised him for that!!!!! She looked at me and asked if that ever happens, and I told her that No it doesnt especially for a stranger in our room. He gives us eye contact but hardly and I mean hardly anyone new. I dont know exactly what she is suppose to be doing, but all she does is sit there with him during our morning Circle Time. Kinda fustrates me and my co-worker because she is suppose to be working with him one on one, and isnt. We tried telling Mom and she said ok that she would talk with the lady. No such luck.

On the bright side, M&M started signing 'more' for us when he wants more lunch, or milk. We were sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!! Took us months and months to help him with that, and he does it!!! Well........the lady took credit for it. She said that she helped him with it. She comes once a week!!!!!!!!!! We were so upset. We told our Director that it was US who helped him, and she talked to Mom that day and told her that it was actually us who helped him with it. Her response...Oh, ok.

I know that this has GOT to be hard on her! She is a single parent(we assume because weve never heard her talk about Dad and weve never seem him) and when we try to talk to her about M&M she is emotion-less. When M&M said 'ball' for the first time in our class, my co-worker and I jumped over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When Mom came and picked him up, I was soooo excited to tell her that. Her response....Oh, ok. And walked out. I dont know how I can get Mom to be more invovled in how much M&M is progressing! He has learned soo much!!!!!

Does anyone have any kind of advice that we can possibly use to help Mom be more 'into' it with us??? We also told her that we ordered a Sign Language book so we can help him learn more new words. I love this kid to death!!!! He is so innocent, and so affecionate. We love him!!!! Yes, he can be difficult but what 2 yr old isnt, KWIM?

He is so smart too ladies. When 'Wheels on the Bus' is on the radio, he starts doing the motions, as well to some of our songs when we read books! He amazes me everyday!!! He also started coming to me when I call for him. He also started touching my face, and on occasion I have a pen attached to my shirt, and he will take it off and hand it to me. This kid melts my heart!!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
January 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any advice for you on what to do about M&M's mom. If she doesn't really see the need to be more involved than she is, no one can make her. Maybe she thinks he'll just develop out of it. She really needs to self educate herself but if she doesn't want to, she won't. Its often times easier to live in the land of denial because its less work. Unfortunately, it won't help M&M out any
Maybe slip a few autism information sheets in the signing book(if you're planning on sending the book home).

Its a shame that he has a one on one that isn't helping him much and taking credit for things she's not even doing. I know it has to suck for you guys but its at least positive that he's making progress and has you and your co workers who really care and work so hard with him. Sorry mom isn't seeing that.

You're doing wonderful though and your post shows that you really care about this child

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I'm sorry Maybe his mom is more involved with him at home but is just preoccupied or in a rush when she picks him up? Or just shy...
That's great he is making so much progress with your help!
I like Tammy's suggestion about sending info home with him. I think that's really all you CAN do. The rest is up to her. And keep on doing what you are doing with M&M

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Thanks ladies. Mom is a real sweetheart and I like her, I just wish at times that she would just talk about how she feels about everything. I want to just give her a hug at times when I see her fustration when she drops of M&M and she doesnt understand why he is crying or why he would prefer to be handed to me or my co-worker.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search