I'm New

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
ginap73's Avatar Veteran
I am new to this board/room

This week and last week we had an appointment with a Dr. for a diagnoses for my 3 1/2 year old son. He was diagnosed HFA. We brought my daughter to the appoinment as well. After speaking with the Dr. we made an appointment for my daughter, And she was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

I do not know how she can have Asperger's syndrome as she's incredibly smart, she was speaking full sentences by 1 1/2 - 2, she's now 2 1/2. She's the "genious" of the family. Extremely aware of what she wears like certain fabrics she will not wear, likes only the color pink and loves sparkles anything that shines and colorful etc. Was I more concerned about my son that I did not see any signs with her? To me she appears to be a normal girly girl to the extreme. She doesn't have the same stimming that my son has which made it obvious that he could be autistic.

Does this sound odd? I don't understand how they can diagnose a toddler being on the autism spectrum when she appears normal to me.

Any input would be good.
January 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hello and welcome!
I'm Crissy, my almost 4 year old was diagnosed with autism at age 2 Ĺ
Actually from what you have said about your daughter, an Aspergers' diagnosis does not sound odd at all, some things such as being stuck on pink and hyper-awareness to certain fabric textures are fit right in with an ASD - and language skills do not exclude an ASD diagnosis - in fact no delay in language, even advanced language, is the major difference between Aspergers and classic Autism, in which there is a delay in speech.

This may help explain it better:
Quote:
There has been a lot of debate about the nature of Aspergerís syndrome and where it fits within the Autism spectrum. The one thing that is known for sure is that Aspergerís IS a type of autism, but without many of the debilitating symptoms. There are many differences between what most people think of when they imagine an autistic child and one that suffers from Aspergerís syndrome. Letís take a look at some of the basic differences.
1. A child who is typically autistic will show severe lapses in the development of language. A high percentage of autistic children may never develop language skills at all. With a child or an adolescent who has Aspergerís syndrome, language skills are usually not affected at all and in fact can be above average. A child with Aspergerís syndrome can show impaired social development that may lead to a lack of language usage, but the actual development of the language itself is on par with other children of the same age.
2. A second way to differentiate Aspergerís disease from classic autism is the cognitive abilities of Aspergerís children. Most kids that have Aspergerís show normal or even above average cognitive ability in classroom settings and on I.Q. tests. This extends into the later years of development too. However, children with classic autism show cognitive impairments that usually do not improve with age.[/b]
source and full article

We had a 13 year old babysitter last summer who had Aspergers. Other than being a bit awkward socially, you'd never know she wasn't a regular teenager, unless you spent a lot of time with her. Then you would notice she always wore pink - every day, never saw her in another color. She could not take a hint - if I wanted her to go home, I couldn't say something like "well, I need to get dinner going, shouldn't you be getting home for dinner?" I had to come right out and say "It's time for you to go" and it wouldn't hurt her feelings, she needed to be told specifically what was wanted of her. Also, she would talk your ear off, and she knew a lot! I think she remembered every thing she ever read! She was a great babysitter, the kids loved her. She was just quirky - but very smart

Anyhow, I hope that helps you a little. And hope to get to know you better and hear how things are going with your little ones

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesn't sound odd to me either. Aspie kids are usually very articulate at a young age...they "may"(or may not) start out with a bit of a delay in speech but then make up for it fairly quickly and have a huge vocabulary and love words. Also, Aspie kids are usually very very smart. Alot of the issues a child with Asperger's will have is deficits in understand communication that is nonverbal and in social skills. I am nodding at Crissy's post. My dd has the Asperger's dx and I have to be very exact in what I say to her most of the time. She is not a "typical" aspie due to other neurological problems but she has a lot of the characteristics...also one that will talk your ear off.

Welcome to the board!!

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search