Jay had his first visit with his OT

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jay had his first visit with his OT today. It went well and she as here for about 1.5 hours. It took a little bit to warm up to her. She gave some ideas. We have one of those big balls and we sat him on so he could bounce and he loved it. She said if I can tell when he starts getting frustrated have him bounce on the ball. She brought over a bowl of rice with little animals and shapes. Jay Loved playing with the rice. He sat and ran his hands in it and scooped for a good 30-45 minutes. He never sits that long for a activity. So I am going to that every evening with him while I watch tv then I can vacuum the floor right away. She said we could try dry beans or oatmeal to. I told her that he is always shoving to much food in his mouth. She said that he can not feel the food on the inside of his mouth when its a small amount so thats why he shoves so much in at a time. She suggested getting a electric toothbrush and running that in his mouth before he eats. She also brought over this squishy ball that lights up when you pull on it or squeeze it. He really loved that. So maybe that will help him with not wanting to turn lights on all the time. She got it at the dollar store so I told dh that we will have to go tommorow and try to fine one for him. In two weeks she is coming over at lunch time to work on feedings.
February 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Well I already replied in our PR so i'll copy/paste my reply here plus the dough recipes

Quote:
Quote:
Gus OT does/did all the same things with him - and he has made so much progress. I'm so glad to hear it went so well with Jay too! He has the same oral issue as Gus as well! I bet Jay would also enjoy a little trampoline like Gus has. Play-doh is also a great sensory aid, he can really push and pound it, and you can make your own and keep it in the fridge. let me know if you need the recipe. Another easy one for dealing with frustration is filling a balloon with sand and knotting it well, letting him squeeze that. It will feel good to him. Yay for a great OT visit![/b]
I would love the reci[e for Playdough. He does like playing with it.
[/b]
Making play-dough is easy and fun. You can make any color you like!

Traditional Play Dough
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
food coloring

Mix all ingredients, adding food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled. Will last for a long time.

Kool-Aid Play Dough
1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid (it has to be unsweetened, if you use the sweetened kind you will get a sticky mess)

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium pot. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes. When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove. Knead until smooth. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search