Advice please - is this wrong?

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Gus is being a handful at night these days - he recently started wandering the house at night, unbeknownst to us as we are asleep - He has been getting into things (Oreos yesterday), turning all the lights and TVs on, and it really worries me. He has in the past tried to use the appliances - we unplug and lock everything up now - but I still worry he will come to harm unsupervised. So, our plan is to move him into his own room this weekend, and put a lock on his door. He is currently sharing with his 6 year old brother, who is very tired of being woken in the middle of the night by Gus' antics - and we can't lock that door as Jack needs to be able to get out to use the bathroom. So the plan is moving Angus into a little room of his own, with a chain lock on the door so he can open it several inches to call to us, but not get out. Does this sound cruel to you? What would you do? Do you have this problem with your child? We have bought Angus a Little Tikes Thomas the Tank Engine bed off Craigslist and I am going to put up posters of all his favorite characters, numbers and letters, a childproof nightlight, and bolt the dresser to the wall. Maybe a window lock - I am not sure yet because I am concerned about whether it is a bad idea in case of fire. I might put a baby monitor in there if I can find one that won't interfere with the one we use for Sydney - but even if I don't, he will only be across the hall, if he shouted I would hear him. If he gets up in the night he will have his books and trains and Little People to play with... I think he will be okay, and safer... but I feel like locking him up is still wrong... I just don't know what else to do! Well, thanks for listening. I am interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it is wrong and have considered it in the past for my dd. I definately understand your concerns and fears. I have 2 thoughts though, before putting the chain on, why not try him in his own room for a few night with one of you sleeping on the couch? It might help that he has his own space. Also, have you tried putting a baby gate in his door way so he can't get out? I don't know if he can climb over those and I apologize if these are things you have tried previously. HTH
February 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No I do not think its wrong. You got to do what you go to do to keep him safe. Alot of the reason I put off putting Jay in a big boy bed is because he would get out of bed in the middle of the night and I would never hear him.
February 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Although I don't like the thought of locking them in their rooms, when its for safety issues, its sometimes necessary. One idea would be to have a screen door for his room instead of his regular door. You can still use a chain lock but it might seem less like him being locked in with it being a screen door...I know, crazy idea huh Dd was never one to wander so I never had to deal with that when she was younger. We did have to lock her in her room a night or two after she was older and threatened to run away after we went to sleep. The odd thing was that she was totally happy being locked in

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats a good idea tammy.
February 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We used a baby gate, our son used to get up at 2 and go downstairs and watch Toy Story, he could turn it on and make it play!

Have you tried using melatonin? That might help him to sleep through. Good luck.
February 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
It's Devin that wanders the house at night! We find him asleep on the couches and floor almost every morning. He doesn't do it to play, I think he's on his way to us, but doesn't make it! LOL

I had the opposite problem with Hunter. Once we shut his bedroom door at night, it was like it was locked; he didn't think he could leave. I'd have to open the door when I got up, and he was usually awake, and then he'd come out.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search