P/T Conference

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2008, 05:41 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
I hadn't seen his report card because I hadn't paid the fee, which was up $35 dollars from last year, and I had already sent in quite a few supplies in the beginning of the year, so it was a mini rebellion on my part I guess. But I paid the day before the conference so they'd release his report card.

Anyway - when I saw it, my jaw dropped. He has problems with his printing; he rushes, doesn't proofread, so those areas got an N for Needs Improvement. That's part of his ASD, so it's not a big deal to me, but the rest of it. Holy sh*t! He improved in every area! Last grading period he had an 88% in Social Studies. He was having a hard time understanding the vocabulary. This time? 100% That's the biggest improvement and the other areas he went up at least 2-3 percentages!

I was so happy that I didn't want to take the smile off the teacher's face, but when she mentioned that Hunter didn't make the Honor Roll because she couldn't give him a 3 for his penmanship, I told her that I was having a problem with her marking Hunter wrong on spelling words he had spelled right, but because his letter formation was bad, she marked them wrong. I said as a child with an IEP and working with an OT, he shouldn't be, in my opinion, get points off for his printing.

She said that his OT expects him to form his letters correctly, and he does when he's reminded to slow down. OT as this "Neat or Repeat" with him. I brought up having Hunter evaluated for assistance technology in hopes he'll get one of these, (I had a brochure about them) and the spec. ed. rep there said she'd take it and review it with the OT and get back with me first thing next week.

Overall it was a great meeting. Hunter had no problems understanding how happy I was with his report card. I'm going to go get him the Bumblebee Transformer today.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG how wonderful. I am soooooooooo excited for you guys. Hopefully you can come to some sort of understanding with his teacher about his writing skills, but I am sooo glad to hear how well he did and how much he improved. I hope you'll be able to get the assistive technology for HUnter. That would be great.
February 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
What an awesome report card! That's too bad it's just his penmanship that kept him off the honor roll, but also good to know it's just his penmanship!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
bunni0407's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to bunni0407
Glad the report card and coference went well. Sorry that the teacher is being silly about his penmanship.

*Thank you misfitinmn for my amazing siggy*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search