CAKE!!!!!

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
M&M started saying CAKE!!!! He can point to the picture and say it!!!!!!!!!!

My co-worker and I are so excited about it!!! We were reading The Hungry Little Caterpillar, and when the Caterpillar ate a cupcake, M&M jumped up and down screaming CAKE!! CAKE!! CAKE!! Took my hand, and pointed it to the picture of the cupcake!!!

We told Mom,, but she didnt get too excited. All she said was..Oh, ok. *sigh* My goal with Mom is to help her see M&M through new eyes! Everyday is an adventure with him in class. Why cant she see that?

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
February 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Wonderful news! I remember the excitement when Hunter responded the first to PECS, and then when he spoke again...never forget!

How often does she see him? You spend the most time with him and know him best. Or she's just in denial.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
He has learned sooo much!!! While breakfast is being served he will sit at the table upon walking into the classroom, and I will clap and sign to him, Way to go M&M. Mom will then say bye. And shes out the door before I can say anything to her!

I am going to encourage her to come and 'sneak' by to watch him during our Morning Circle Time so she can see how he is doing! He is so wonderful and loves to interact with us and I wish Mom would be open to see that. I know that she is probably in some serious denial, but I just wish that she would push past it and see him, the real him. Not see him as 'not normal'

His therapist is no help either. She spends 15 mins with him and that is it. I guess she thinks its enough. Weve talked to Mom about maybe having her come twice or three times a week, again, in one ear and out the other. She comes every Thursday morning during our Circle Time and of course M&M doesnt want to go with her because its Circle Time. Breaks his routine and makes it harder for us when he comes back. Sometimes in tears.

She continues taking credit for our hard work with M&M.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
February 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I'm sorry his mom doesn't respond with excitement to his achievements I am glad he has you.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that is harsh! Any chance the financial stresses of having an autistic child is catching up to "mom". I know I have heard of parents resenting their children with disabilities because they can't handle the stress that comes with it. I wonder how she is at home with him. Maybe it's time for a parent teacher meeting? Where you can really highlight with excitement all of his recent achievements and maybe go over some fun new activities she can do with him at home to make part of his nighttime routine? A way to get her more involved? I don't know. I'm new to all of this. It just breaks my heart when I hear stories like this.

You are doing a fantastic job and it doesn't matter what other people think of you because M&M knows that YOU are what he needs. He knows who he can count on. And you make him feel special every day. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
February 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for M&M

As far mom goes, maybe she's got a few peices of the puzzle herself....just enough to give her a few quirks. Her being aloof about the whole thing could be that she's just not "connected" in the same way a typical mom would be...its a spectrum trait that she may have. Also, stress/depression can work that way as well. If thats the case, hopefully she'll come around as he makes progress. You guys are doing GREAT!!!

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search