Cameron had his first speech therapy app. today.

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So we met with Cameron's speech therapist today and she was nice. He did great! So today was "evaluation" and not working with him. It cost us $225 We have 5 more appointments booked to get us to his FREE speech therapy (he's on the wait list). The 5 half hour sessions will cost us another $350 How are regular people supposed to afford this? I know that they have fees to pay and have spent tons on schooling and so on but it's just crazy. And they don't offer payment plans either Oh well my son needs it so we WILL find the money. I have been looking at getting subsidies, so hopefully I get more info on that soon.

OK so Cameron is 2years and 6.5months old and he is coming in at 1year 8months old for speech and related skills. Which isn't too bad!

We still don't know where he fits on the spectrum But we know it's mild. I'm so happy about that. He's such a smart boy, and I love him so much. I just want the absolute best for him.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
February 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Wow. When Hunter was evaluated, I didn't have to pay a dime. I wonder what's different between the two of us? I called EI (Early Intervention) and they took over from there.

I would have had to pay for his summer ST because the services he was under are off for the summer. But I wrote a letter to a charity, although I don't recall which one, and they paid it for me.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in Ontario, Canada so that might make a difference. There are tons of fantastic FREE programs here but the waiting lists are long So instead of sitting on our hands and wallets we decided to bite the bullet and put him into private until he can get the free.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
February 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm in Ontario, Canada so that might make a difference. There are tons of fantastic FREE programs here but the waiting lists are long. So instead of sitting on our hands and wallets we decided to bite the bullet and put him into private until he can get the free.[/b]
Just lurking but I wanted to say I feel your pain about the long waiting lists. We're in New Brunswick, and we waited for 11 months to get Ezekiel into speech therapy. He was referred at 19 months at high priority status, and finally got in with the province-covered speech language pathologist two weeks ago, at 2 1/2. We have a bit of coverage for private ST through our insurance but it would barely have gotten us through the assessment and one session. So frustrating!

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel

February 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow but on the bright side that's a great assesment! My son is a lil over 2.5 and at his last eval in August he was at 6m and 12m levels.....a bit later he was at 13m. And that was with nearly 1 year of speech therapy already!

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search