Language Problem??

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
That is what M&M's mom thinks he has. Just a simple language problem. She has told the Therapist that she ONLY wants her to help 'open him up' so he can start talking. WHY?!?!?! Why does she think this???? I cried when I heard this. She has a psychologist appointment...well, HAD. She canceled it because again.....she thinks that its his language. He is almost 3 years old. Isnt that the cut off date to get help from the government??? I need to look that up.

BRIGHT SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M&M said BYE on Friday!! And waved!!! One of my little boys was leaving for the day during naptime, and M&M said....BU-BU!!!! AND WAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I COULD HAVE SCREAMED!!!! Instead, I knelt down beside him and clapped and said, Very good M&M!!! My co-worker called me after he left for the day and screamed that he said BYE to her as well. Mom didnt say anything. BUT SHE KNOWS HE CAN SAY BYE!!!!!!!! He LOVES to look at our lips when we talk. I know that he can understand us better when we encourage him to look at our lips because usually he would just throw a fit if we didnt let him do something. Now I can redirect his eyes to my lips and say 'no' and he is ok with that!

We have also been trying to help him nod for yes and shake for no. He looks so cute when he nods because he nods from side to side! We will take that, and go with it! I have a video of him in Circle Time doing the motions to Happy And You Know It to show to Mom in a Conference we are trying desperately to set up. Hopefully it will happen!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
February 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! You are making some amazing progress with him!

I know your frustration. There's a child I know of and he's 4 and his mom is a social worker! who helps to diagnose children with SPECIAL needs! Yup you heard me! She's like the first step to being directed to a doctor for a diagnoses. Anyway, her son doesn't speak hasn't ever reached a milestone on time or even near on time. He keeps falling way behind and it is starting to affect his self esteem and she is still in denial. A friend of mine has made SOOOOOO many hints and has tried to get her to realize her son is more than likely autistic but she just won't/can't see it.

All I can think about, is how these children would benefit from their parents putting their own fears aside to help their children! It does not help to ignore the problem. I think of it like this: if you cut yourself badly and don't take care of it, then it gets infected. If it gets infected and still goes untreated then it'll get gangrene and from there will need to be removed. Why won't these people help their kids heal now before they aren't able to fix it. And they won't fit in at school?

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
February 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is wonderful news about M&M. I always love to hear about the success the kids are making. I agree with the pp, what a crying shame that the mom is in denial and won't get the help her son needs when there is enough time for it to have a really huge impact.

And that mom who is a social worker!!!! OMG, I can't believe that. Its one thing to be in denial if you have no clue, but come on, she should no better and get her child the help he needs.
February 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for M&M!!!
You guys are making awesome progress with him.
About mom
Not sure what you mean about a cut off for help from the government. Depends on the kind of help I guess.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search