How do you cope with the rough days

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The last few days have been tough here. Yesterday was horrible and today has started heading that way. I think I have been doing ok since we have gotten Jay's diagnosis. Have my good days and bad. I been trying really hard the last few days to be patient with Jay. I think I have been doing good. My patience has not been the greatest yesterday or today. I know that Jay is wired different and know why he has certain behavioral problems. I think I am more frustrated because I do not know a whole lot of what to do to help him. Being in limbo waiting to get his services is not helping any. He does have a teacher and a OT that comes here weekly. So what do you all do to cope when you have rough days especially when you first got the diagnosis? I have been days when I really just have to truck through it. Like today I did not feel like doing rice play because it always involves a really huge mess. I just keep telling I got to do it because Jay loves it and he is doing something other then spinning a wheel. I think I have been in the mode why is this happening the last few days.
March 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been taking Cameron to a drop in play group at the local Early Years center. It's free and they offer a snack and open play/crafts/songs/stories. It has helped me a lot. It's a place where he can let out his energy and it has really helped him to get out of his shell a little. On tough days I just do what I can. As much as you want to do every activity with him every day, it's not always possible. Some days he won't be in the mood and others you won't have the time or patience. And that's OK! Can I ask what rice play is? I've seen you mention it a few times and it interests me.

I wanted to add that I think you are a fantastic mom. I know your DH isn't always the most supportive when it comes to Jay's special needs but you are really awesome at making sure he has what he needs. You are doing a great job.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
March 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have been taking Cameron to a drop in play group at the local Early Years center. It's free and they offer a snack and open play/crafts/songs/stories. It has helped me a lot. It's a place where he can let out his energy and it has really helped him to get out of his shell a little. On tough days I just do what I can. As much as you want to do every activity with him every day, it's not always possible. Some days he won't be in the mood and others you won't have the time or patience. And that's OK! Can I ask what rice play is? I've seen you mention it a few times and it interests me.

I wanted to add that I think you are a fantastic mom. I know your DH isn't always the most supportive when it comes to Jay's special needs but you are really awesome at making sure he has what he needs. You are doing a great job.[/b]

Thank you

With rice play you but rice in a container. I use a bin that I was using to store small toys. I mixed up rice with different kinds of beans. You can hide small toys in the rice for them to dig out. Bury there feet and hands in the rice. I also have stacking cups for them to scoop the rice. They love running there hands through the rice. Jay LOVES it! You have to put the container on a towel or blanket. I actually use one of those table cloths from the dollar store. It can get messy so make sure to have a vacuum nearby.
March 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Oh cool so it's like making your own sandbox! But with rice. That's cool. Great idea I'll have to try it.

March 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sure your ds will love it. I like running my hands through it to.

Dh and I had a good talk on the phone.

Dh was not being cooperative about the whole signing thing but Jay's teacher explained while its so important.

Well he called not long ago and he basically thanked me for seing things were off with Jay and getting him checked out and getting him help. He said he is glad that I am at home with him. It felt so nice to hear him say this after he trying to tell me I was doing things wrong. I was in shock but oh so happy we could talk about whats going with Jay without having a argument.
March 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Oh hun I'm so happy for you! That takes a lot for a man to do. I think things will be much better now I told you that you are a great mom And now I know you're a great wife too.

March 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh hun I'm so happy for you! That takes a lot for a man to do. I think things will be much better now I told you that you are a great mom And now I know you're a great wife too.[/b]

awww thanks. Jay's teacher told me I am good wife the other day. I made dh breakfast. She said if it was her she would tell him to make it himself. I trying to treat him how I want to be treated.
March 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The rough days...yeah, I just keep chugging along as best I can. If I'm having a particularly bad day, we all get a break and basically not much gets done, we just veg. Some days, I think thats whats needed in order to recharge.

I'm glad that dh is starting to see things in a different light. It will help you tremendously to have him on board and be supportive about your work with Jay. I think you're doing a wonderful job

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search