Can you ladies

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
~*~AIMEE~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't seem to find any good sources for the different degrees of autism, or some of the other disorders some of you mentioned. My son hasn't been diagnosed, in fact his doctors just keep telling me that he is fine. I am not convinced. I was wondering if you could share your experiences with me if you have time.

These are a few things that I am worried about. He is now 2 1/2, so most of these things are in the past.

It seemed to me that he stopped cooing shortly after he started.
When I would try to soothe him as an infant, it would make it worse.
He cried most of the time he was awake.
He really never pointed to or showed me things until almost 2 I think.
He just recently started to say words other than mama or dada, and he is learning new words every day, but still way behind for his age. He just started speech therapy twice a week.
He never liked (sometimes still) for me to try to show him how to do something, or teach him things, like pointing in a book and naming things. He would throw a huge tantrum, like I said sometimes still.

Although....He loves people, he will "talk" to everyone we see while we are out.
He looks us in the eye, and gives us affection. He seems to understand way more than he can say.

Do you ladies have any comments, or advice?
March 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure what to say. I am not a expert but I am not sure if those signs of Autism.

I can tell you the signs that my son had/has

He has obession with wheels. He can spin them for long periods of time. He also likes to open and close doors and is obbsesed with lights.

When you try to transition him to another activity it usually involves a meltdown.

He spins in circles and flaps his hands when he is excited.

He had a regression in his speech around the age of two. He does say words but does mostly babbling.

At times he seems death and usually does not respond to his name.

He has sensory issues. He used to be good about eating about anything but now he prefers smoother textures. He hates being tickled and likes a rough touch.

He does not have a fear of dangerous situations.

At times its like he is in his own world.

Here is a site that has the signs of Autism.

autism signs
March 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you for your reply, and for sharing with me. My son has tantrums during transitioning also. I will check out your link right now. Thanks again.
March 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are describing a lot of signs my son has.

Cameron is super affectionate and is really friendly, but he doesn't like being crowded and he has a meltdown if there are too many people around and he doesn't have a quiet place to go to. He likes to line up his toys or organize them by color. His speech is severely delayed and does not like to be "told" what to do. When he gets excited he tenses up and shakes. He's a picky eater and doesn't handle "no" very well (same with transitioning).

My doctor was not concerned about Cameron but I insisted he be sent for testing and he was diagnosed about a month ago. So if you do have suspicions I would suggest you get him tested. It's best to know so that you can treat it. Children who are diagnosed before age 3 are more likely to fall off the spectrum before age five than children diagnosed after age 3 (depending on severity of course). So if he can get the help he needs sooner than later that is best.

We're here if you have more questions/concerns or just want to chat!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
March 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Thank you for replying also. He is in the First Step EI program for speech, and some Occupational therapy issues that seem to me to be more of an issue with him not doing things because they told him to. I answered some questions about sensory issues and such a few months ago, but they never seem to know who is supposed to give me the results.....very frustrating. Would these girls be able to detect a problem while working with him? He throws such a huge fit in a testing or evaluation situation that they usually just give him zeros because he won't do anything. He still throws a fit when I drop him off for therapy, but after a while he just gets up and he's ready to play. I wish they could test him, since it is so hard to get anything out of him when you just throw him into the situation.

Also, what are your opinions on what causes this?
March 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
They've done studies down to the molecular level and as of yet there is no "cause" for autism. It is something you are born with. When my son went for testing it was not in a forced situation. He was brought to a room with toys and was watched and evaluated. They looked at how he interacted with us and how he did with the doctors and nobody made him upset. They just let him take the lead as much as possible. So I think he can be tested. Being uncooperative still shows signs of autism.

March 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
You might find this interesting: The PDD Assessment Scale/ Screening Questionnaire It's not for diagnosis, but it might give you an idea where your child falls on the ASD spectrum and give you something to discuss with his ped.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Oh thank you for that link.

And Thanks for letting me know that they haven't found a cause, you know there is so much speculation. I was honestly starting to wonder if it was something that I did.
March 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Oh thank you for that link.

And Thanks for letting me know that they haven't found a cause, you know there is so much speculation. I was honestly starting to wonder if it was something that I did.[/b]
I know what you mean. I did the same thing for the longest time. But my doctors assured me there is no cause. Just lots of speculation as you've said. Ignore it unless it comes from your doctor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search