New Here

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
gemini6774's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Ladies! Just thought I'd join you here. I'm Michelle and my little guy is Lucas (March 29, 2007). I've lurked here for a while as I've suspected he has some gross motor delays for a while. I've been concerned for a while and talked to my doc about it several times and my doc just seems to think "he'll do it when he's ready" or "he doesn't do it cause he doesn't need to". Well at 11 months he's still never rolled from back to tummy, can sit but not get into that position on his own, doesn't bear much weight on his legs (when he does, he doesn't stand straigh, he leans forward), doesn't crawl, and obviously can't cruise, etc. About 3 week ago, I contacted our Infant Development program and brought him in last week for an evaluation. She hasn't mailed me the results but said that he would not even make it on the percentile chart for Development of a 10 month old. Now she did tell me not to worry too much, as the only reason he wasn't on it was for gross motor delays, that every other area of development he was doing great in and on track. She isn't recommending us to a physiotherapist just yet, but wants to have us work on some exercises at home and see how he does at the 12 month screening (scheduled for April 7th). If he shows improvement then we will just work on it from home with the Infant Developement people. If he doesn't show improvement then we will be referred to a physiotherapist.

I'm sort of sad about it of course, but am happy to finally have some validation for my concerns. My family, up to this point has always said stuff like he seems fine, maybe he's just lazy, and I just knew that there was more to it.

Also a question for you ladies......since he is on track in other ways, I'm finding it difficult to keep him entertained. You know how busy most 11 month olds are and I just find he gets so bored so quickly. I have lots of toys that I rotate throughout the day, but it just isn't enough it seems. I read lots of books to him, sing songs, etc., but he seems to want to get places and just can't yet. What else can I do, or do I just have to put up with the fussiness in this aspect till he is mobile?

March 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome, I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who is globally delayed and has been since about 15 months (she will be 6 in april).

Alexis didn't learn to crawl until she was 16 months, and didn't walk until she was two. even then she had to crawl to something to pull herself up. she didn't learn to stand on her own until she was almost 3. With her though, we had a harder time in some aspects to keep her busy and interested. She is visually impaired, so with her limited sight, she had no desire to explore her surroundings. So getting her motivated to move was part of our problem. She was content to just sit and play with her toys. But one thing we did do to encourage exploration and movement was to get a one of the baby walkers so she could sit/stand in it and propel herself around. That may help your son get around a little better, and also encourage weight bearing on his legs. We also used one of the jolly jumpers for her to help strengthen her legs and promote weight bearing. I wish I had more advice, but maybe some of the other moms will have better ideas for you.
March 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
gemini6774's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jennifer! Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually have and exersaucer and a jolly jumper which Lucas loves, and he does jump around in it. The people at Infant Developement told me that this wouldn't help too much as it gives them a false support and with Lucas the problem seems to not be in his leg strength but his lower back. In Canada, walkers are illegal, so this is also out of the question. I think his problem with the lower back muscles not being strong enough, is that he actually doesn't like playing on his tummy. We did used to do lots of tummy time, but since about 7 months, the second we put him on his tummy he would roll to his back and he has never rolled the other way. If I put him back on his tummy he will just keep rolling back. I feel bad, for him and the exercises make him pretty mad cause they force him to stay on his tummy, but I guess that's all I can really do for him till he gets himself going. He's generally such a happy content baby, but I can see how this delay has started to frustrate him. On a plus note, he has recently started rolling onto his side, and just the past few days I've noticed he seems to move ever so slightly on his bum, so maybe he'll end up just scooting that way to get places. He also seems to rock himself so hard that he will end up on his tummy, so in that respect, maybe the mobility is not too far off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search