questions fro you ladies

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok I have a few ?'s for you ladies, I was leary about posting here but my concerns are just getting the best of me, It started with my neighbor who told me that it may be to ealry but she thinks my son may have autism becasue he acts like someone she knows who has it..
anyway he'll be 17 months on the 20th and his well check up is friday and im gonna mention it to his doc to see. but in the mean time im concerned about it..
Braylon is my second son again is 17 months he dont talk that much says mama and dada abd babbles alot and also loves make donald duck sounds.. he has good eye contact i would say about 70 percent of the time, loves to climp on everything and also loves to be upside down and spins around alot he does play by himself alot and also loves spinning wheels, which i read are sime signs of autism, but hes not afraid of poeple and dont seem to be bother with being in public..some of my other concerns are he dont always turn towards me when his name is called and he hasnt really pointed, waed or clapped..he will grap my hands and clap them to together if were playing pat a cake..he'll also grab my hand if i point to him. hes not big on givung kisses but does liek to be cuddle sometimes.
so i guess what im asking is do you ladies think this is normal behavior for a 17 month old or is he showing signs of autism???? tia ladies
crystal

**Thanks .Meagan. for my great siggy**
X1
March 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It does sound like he is showing some signs of Autism. You said he likes to spin wheels? How does he play with his toys. Does he usually fixate on one part of the toy. MY ASD loves spinning wheels and that is what he does about 90% of the time with playing. Spinning in circles is a sign. Its normal for kids to do that but when its happening alot then its not normal. Not responding to there name is another red flag. Jay will sometimes but not often. Jay is also not big on giving kisses. Just because a child makes eye contact does not mean they do not have Autism. Jay used to be really good about going in public but it has progessivly gotten worse. I would get in touch with Early Intervention and request a full evaluation. You could probaly find out what the number is through your childs doctor or google it. Here is a link with diffrent places in Florida. Not sure where in FL you live. Early Intervention

I would request a referal to a Developmental Pediatricin or a Phychologist that does evaluations for Autism. Remember that right now is the best time to get him evaluated because the earlier the DX the better.
March 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thank for the link, im deffintly gonna talk to his ped on friday and see if she can get him evaluated..
when hes playing with toys he does tend to play with the spinning objects but thats not all he plays with..he doe splay wiht balls he has a dino ball thing that u put the balls in and they roll out... im not sure what to really think of it all..i mean he seems to know whats going on but he does seem to lack certain stuff as well..ive looked up the sites that have signs and he does tend to have some signs of autism but i just didnt know if it wasnt something they call diagnose at 17 months??
also if u ladies can give me some things that your children were doing that lead you to think autism or a developmental delay

X1
March 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I noticed Jay was not saying as many words as children his age. The I had other concerns and I posted on another message board and someone I have known online said it sounded like signs of Autism. I went through EI and Jay's teacher was pointing out diffrent signs.
March 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
is it possibe for doc to diagnose it at 17 months though??

X1
March 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM
pautumnsun's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
is it possibe for doc to diagnose it at 17 months though??[/b]
I am sorry I am very new to this site and I am unsure of when you can get dx. I have done a little bit of research and it seems most people seek evaluations around age three and four. My son has not been officially dx but I have a strong feeling that he is on the spectrum. Aidan worker is very efficient and I trust her. She reassured me that it is better to catch it early. If I were you I would ask my doctor for her opinion and set up an appointed with early intervention. Even if your child is not on the spectrum he could use early intervention to help with speech. My concerns with my son began when he was nine months and I noticed he didnt respond to his name. I hope this helped just a little bit

Tricia
March 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks ladies for th elinks and advice, i did speak to his doc about it and she did have her concerns form what i told her, so she did put in a request to be evaluated so ill have to wait a couple weeks for the appt to be set and then it may be a couple more weeks before the appt..i guess there 3 places they call one in gainsville and 2 in orlando. so which ever one can get him in the earliest is who will go with...

X1
March 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
thanks ladies for th elinks and advice, i did speak to his doc about it and she did have her concerns form what i told her, so she did put in a request to be evaluated so ill have to wait a couple weeks for the appt to be set and then it may be a couple more weeks before the appt..i guess there 3 places they call one in gainsville and 2 in orlando. so which ever one can get him in the earliest is who will go with...[/b]
For sure get in touch with the early intervention people in your area. Most are income based, so you pay depending on the number of people in your family and your income. They will be able to provide you with a speech therapist, and most importantly, an Occupational Therapist. Make sure and ask if they have experience with sensory integration disorder. This would help with his spinning, from what you say, he is seeking stimulation and the spinning provides him with that. My sons OT taught us so much that we still use today, and he is almost 7. The key here is getting help early, you would be amazed at what they can do to help kids. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search