GFCF diet

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone done this. I was talking to Jay's teacher and she suggested it. I have been thinking about it. When I was reading Jenny McCarthy's book louder then words she said how that alot of Autistic children have the bloated belly look and Jay has that for awhile now. Jay's teacher said he could have allergies to milk and gluten but he shows no symptons. He rarley ever passes and it strikes me odd. I have heard Dr OZ saying that passing gas is a good thing. I am wondering if something is not wrong in his belly. I have also read that ASD children crave the food they have allergies to. Jay eats alot of bread. I have a appoitment for him to get allergy testing the end of month to see if he has food allergies.
March 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I considered the GCFC diet sometime last year. I talked to Gus' doctor about it and she told us not to buy into it, that it wouldn't do anything for him either except restrict his already limited diet. She said just to keep feeding him what he will eat, and we would see that he was meeting his nutritional goals - and she was right. He has made huge progress this year, and we pick our battles, and food is not a battle worth having for us. This is what he eats: Pepperoni & cheese pizza, chicken nuggets, peanut butter sandwiches, smooth yogurt, Life cereal, Cheerios, ketchup, and he drinks apple juice. He will occasionally eat Oreos or a lollipop for a treat. On the GCFC diet he would starve, it would be seriously detrimental to him. Plus both his therapists whose opinions I trust think it's bunk, as do i now that I have looked into it more. JMHO.

I just remembered I did post about this several months back, here it is: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=868301

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not done this diet with dd as her issues were never dietary.

I do believe that some kids do better with special diets though and that this diet is helpful for some kids. People with certain bowel disorders are on gluten free diets all the time and there are others who are allergic to casein so they have to cut out dairy based foods. Its an extremely restrictive diet though. Wishing you lots of luck at the allergist.

Just wanted to add that when Jacob was tiny, we thought he had a blockage or some kind of disorder of the colon because he grunted like he couldn't pass gas...all the time. At night it was almost nonstop grunting. The colon biopsy came back fine but the bloodwork showed that he was sensitive to something. As I was bf, I played with my diet with no changes until I eliminated wheat and the grunting stopped. Another reason that pointed to something in my diet was that while he was in the hospital waiting for tests to come back, he was on straight pedialyte...no bm at all...and the grunting stopped then too. He's alright with it now because he's outgrown it...the dr. said it didn't look like an allergy but that he was probably a little sensitive at the time. It made eating tricky for a while though.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I agree, SOME kids do better on special diets - IF they have digestive issues. But I think there is some myth surrounding this diet, as so many people have suggested it to me because they heard it can help kids with autism. I think people think it will help cure the autism not just the symptoms from the digestive issues.
Tammy, I had to give up wheat while breastfeeding Jack - isn't it amazing how many foods contain wheat and you wouldn't even think it! Thankfully Jack's digestive system had matured by about 6 months and I was able to reintroduce wheat - I'm a carbaholic and missed my breads!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor said that no diet is "proven" yet and to keep feeding him a well balanced healthy diet (well as much as I can anyway). So that's what I'm doing.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
March 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am still hung up on it. I am going to get some testing done to see if he does have reaction to this stuff. I do not want to fix whats not broken.
March 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First off, allergy testing in children under five isn't all that accurate. Another thing is that a child can have a sensitivity to a certain food, but not a true allergy (meaning it affects them, but it doesn't show up on allergy tests).

Brandon is my five year old and he has high functioning autism. I had already heard about the diet before, but the nurse practioner that first told me Brandon may be mildly autistic suggested the diet. We decided to try it. It is a very hard diet to do. My son was actually having vomiting while on the diet. I've since realized that he's very sensitive to corn and most gluten free foods are made with corn flour in some degree.

Anyway, while he was vomiting, we did notice a change in his behavior while he was on it. Not just us, but the director at Little Gym noticed he was doing better as well. She had suggested the diet to us before as her son has autism, but we didn't let her know we had started doing it.

We were able to stop it after awhile and it seems that's all Brandon needed, just to flush it out of his system and now he can handle gluten. I've read that some kids are this way. We still don't allow him to drink straight cow's milk and only allow him to have cheese and yogurt in very small quantities per day. If he has straight cow's milk, his behavior goes through the roof.

Trying the diet really won't hurt anything. Your son may not eat very much when you first start it, but he will adjust and in most cases children actually end up eating a wider variety of foods while on the diet than they had before. If you feel it's something you want to try, go for it. It is very hard diet to do, though, as you have to pretty much cook/bake everything yourself. I was quite overwhelmed when we first started it. After a couple months, it wasn't that big of a deal, a bit more work, but not too bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search