Car Seats Expire!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Information & Reviews LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you know that car seats expire?

Plastic ages, so the shell gets hard and brittle. Most expire in 6 years, some shorter, some longer... but it's important to know the manufacturer's date of your car seat and the maker's guidelines for the exact seat you have.

Here is a good blog entry to read about car seat expiration: http://blog.safetysquad.com/safety_squad/2...o-car-seat.html

It's important to plan ahead. When you know you are approaching your car seat's expiration date, be sure to give yourself enough time to buy a new seat!!!
January 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Great topic. This would make a good sticky

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

February 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I was at a garage sale one day and found a carseat that looked like a much older model (this was about 2 months ago). I wasn't lookking for a carseat myself but saw someone looking at the seat and asked if she would mind me checking. It had expired 4 years ago. I let her know and she told me she had no choice, she couldn't afford a new seat. I ended up giving her one of our spare seats (Joey's old seat, a convertible) that was only a few months old because I was worried she would buy this seat that had expired 4 years before. When brought up to the family running the garage sale they told me they didn't care if someone bought and used it... I ended up buying it ($10) and trashing it because it bothered me too much.
February 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Traci, that was very nice of you!!!! How thoughtful and kind!
February 12th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I have a garage full of expired car seats that I've picked up from the end of people's driveways!! I need to have my neighbor take his chain saw to them lol

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

February 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
I too, always look at garage sales for expired seats. I picked up a 1996 Fisher Price booster this past summer for $2, but most of the time, people are asking $40+ for their gross (stained) expired seats, and I know that no one is going to buy them at least. I do always try to talk to the garage sale owner about car seat expiration, and many times I've had them act shocked and claim they are going to destroy the seat, but I drive by the next day and the seat is still there. If I could afford to buy all the seats I saw, I totally would.

I'm thinking of printing out some info about it being illegal to sell expired (aka unsafe) car seats, and giving them to garage sale owners when they have old seats for sale.

This is a great youtube video of a 10year old Britax seat being crash-tested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0

March 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was at a garage sale one day and found a carseat that looked like a much older model (this was about 2 months ago). I wasn't lookking for a carseat myself but saw someone looking at the seat and asked if she would mind me checking. It had expired 4 years ago. I let her know and she told me she had no choice, she couldn't afford a new seat. I ended up giving her one of our spare seats (Joey's old seat, a convertible) that was only a few months old because I was worried she would buy this seat that had expired 4 years before. When brought up to the family running the garage sale they told me they didn't care if someone bought and used it... I ended up buying it ($10) and trashing it because it bothered me too much.[/b]
That is a wonderful thing that you did. I would of called the police right infront of them until they cut the straps. Why would someone be so selfish to put $10 infront of another childs safety?
March 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I have seen expired car seats at yard sales also. It is sad that people don't care and just want the money.

March 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I have seen expired car seats at yard sales also. It is sad that people don't care and just want the money.

March 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was on craigslist the other day and saw a carseat on there that the mom said she bought in 2002. it was a graco infant seat and she had used it with both her children. i sent her an email telling her that carseats expire and that one is probably expired since they usually last only 6 years or less and that i understand that she was hoping to make $30 off of it, however to please be thoughtful of the parents and the baby who will purchase the unsafe seat and to trash it instead.

she sent me back an email telling me that she used it with both her kids and she can assure me that it is safe and she will still be selling it, but thanks anyway.

grrrr...it made me so angry. i dont have the money to go buy it from her so i can trash it and i flagged her post but it wasnt removed.
March 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It should just be outright illegal to sell car seats used on craigslist, ebay, etc. It isn't recommened to buy used anyway, and for a person to knowlingly try to make money at another child's expense is just sad.
March 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
I have also seen expired seats being sold...people would do anything for money

June 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been using an expired seat as my extra one (only used it a few times) but after reading why they expire I will be throwing it away.
June 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne214 View Post
I've been using an expired seat as my extra one (only used it a few times) but after reading why they expire I will be throwing it away.
Please do! And I'm so glad you read this When you dispose of the seat, please cut the harness straps (and remove them). Place the seat in a black plastic bag so that trash pickers can't see what is in it. Also, if you have room to store it for a little while, you can hang onto it until Babies R Us does their trade-in event again, and get a 20% off coupon when you turn in the car seat.

Tags
car seat expiration , car seats , expired car seat

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search