Britax Boulevard CS Review

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Information & Reviews LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
AmandaR
Review in progress. Pictures to come.

BRITAX BOULEVARD CLICK AND SAFE CONVERTIBLE CAR SEAT

Product Overview:

Seat Name: Boulevard Click and Safe (CS)
Manufacturer: Britax
Sear Style: Convertible Car Seat
Rear Facing Weight Limit: 35lbs
Forward Facing Weight Limit: 65lbs
Rear Facing Height Limit: The seat can be used rear facing until child’s head is one inch from the top of the shell (not the head wings). For rear facing, the shoulder harness straps must be at or BELOW the child’s shoulders.
Forward Facing Height Limit: The seat can be used forward facing until the harness straps are below the child’s shoulder (forward facing requires the shoulder straps to be at or ABOVE the shoulders).
Shoulder Strap Heights: Infinite height adjuster, torso height must be 10.5 to 16 inches (per BritaxUSA.com). THIS SEAT WOULD NOT WORK FOR AN INFANT!!!
Product Weight and Dimensions (per Amazon.com):19 pounds, 25.5 x 19.5 x 27 inches

Installation and Use:

Installation: This is by far the easiest to install car seat I have ever used. The LATCH clips are very nice (see picture below) and make attaching them very easy. They tighten on both sides, so getting a tight install was very easy in our 2007 Honda Accord and 2006 Honda Odyssey. I do NOT like the seatbelt install of this seat. This is personal preference and I always use the LATCH when available. We have never installed this seat with the seatbelt. The seat does have seatbelt lockoffs for rear facing that will hold the seatbelt in place once it’s been tightened.
LATCH: The LATCH clips are very easy to open and attach. They are even easier to tighten. This is one of the best features in my opinion, because a safe install is extremely important. This seat is rock solid installed with LATCH.
Harness Use: The harness is five point and has an infinite height adjuster. This is a really nice feature, because with just the turn of a knob (NO RETHREADING!!!) you can raise or lower the harness height, so it’s a perfect fit for your child. The harness tightens by pulling a “rope” in between the child’s feet, which is also a great feature. The straps pull smoothly and it’s an incredibly easy to use seat.
Cleaning: We have not removed or washed our cover, but I believe it is hand wash only. The cover has held up well (we’ve had ours for 9 months) and we have a light pink, so.
Strap Adjustment: Raising or lowering the shoulder strap height can be done very easily with the infinite harness height adjuster.
Headwings: The headwings move up and down with the harness height and offer “True Side Impact Protection.” I personally like the headwings because they prevent my daughter’s head from slumping to the side or forward when she sleeps.
Padding: The seat comes with a few padded pieces which are great for smaller babies. (Since they come with the seat, they can be safely used, unlike infant pads sold separately). There are two thin shoulder pads and a pad that goes between the child and the crotch strap to avoid pinching.
Click and Safe Feature: This feature clicks BEFORE the harness is tight enough, it's a waste of money to pay extra for the CS feature unless you like the print better.

Other:

Extended Rear Facing: This car seat can rear face up to 35lbs but I think my daughter will outgrow it by height before then. She has enough leg room right now (as 31 inches tall) but this seat has MUCH less rear facing legroom than other seats I’ve seen.
Airplane Travel: This seat DOES fit rear facing on airplanes (in my flying experience) but can be difficult to GET to your seat (too wide for aisles). We have traveled with the seat a few times and use the Go-Go Kidz TravelMate car seat attachment (http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Babyz-QRKIDZ-Go-Go-Travelmate/dp/B000JJK9EY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1250190320&sr=1-1).

Summary:

Pros: Incredible easy to install, takes up less space in the back seat (back to front) than our infant carrier seat did, easy to use harness adjusters, comes with padding, a very user friendly seat.
Cons: PRICE, extended rear facing legroom, extended rear facing weight limit (there are now seats on the market that rear face to 40lbs).
Overall: I love this seat overall, but I do think Britax has fallen behind other car seat makers. The seat needs to be deeper to accommodate taller children rear facing. I also think you’re paying A LOT for the brand name Britax, when there are many (cheaper) seats that are as good or better than Britax. My biggest complaint about this seat is that Britax advertises it as a 5lb-65lb seat, making it SEEM like it would be a good seat for a newborn. That’s not the case. Because the shoulder strap height is so high, even in the lowest position, an infant would not be safe in this car seat. The child must have a torso height of 10.5 inches (making the shoulder straps at or BELOW the shoulders) to ride safely in this seat.

Pictures:

Last edited by AmandaR; August 14th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
August 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Installation and Use:

Installation: Easy install! I don't think I have ever needed a pool noodle for this seat (RF of course). I use the seat belt most of the time, and love the lock offs. The LATCH straps tighten separately so you have to make sure they are both even. I get a rock solid install both RF and FF every time with this seat (with LATCH or seat belt installs). I never have tipping issues RF.

LATCH: I love the alligator LATCH clips. They are easy to clip on and unhook. The LATCH storage is a pain, IMO though. You have to route them inside the shell so they are under the cover. I haven't mastered getting them all the way in the storage space and I feel like they could dig into DD's back. Switching them from FF to RF could be confusing, but Britax does have instruction videos on their website.

Harness Use: Very easy. Make sure you take your child out of the seat to raise or lower the straps/head wings though. You just twist the knobs until the straps are even with your LO's shoulders since it is an infinite adjust harness. It is also easy to tighten or loosen the harness. With the CS version of the Blvd, you pull until it clicks, then make sure you remove all the harness slack, then pull until it clicks again.

Cleaning: You do have to remove the harness to get the cover off. I have washed my DD's cover once in the past year and it's a very light pink. I hand washed it with warm water. I used my hands to rub the dirt out and it came right out. ALWAYS FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTIONS FOR WASHING A CAR SEAT. NEVER SUBMERGE HARNESS STRAPS IN WATER OR USE ANY HARSH CHEMICALS TO CLEAN THE SEAT, COVER, OR HARNESS.

Headwings: The headwings move up and down with the harness height and offer “True Side Impact Protection.” I personally like the headwings because they prevent my daughter’s head from slumping to the side or forward when she sleeps. [I'm dittoing Amanda lol]

Padding: I love the shoulder and belly pads! The shoulder pads keep the straps from rubbing on my DD's neck, and the belly pad prevents pinching bellies in the clip and keeps hot metal tongues off of her skin. I got this seat when DD was too big for the infant pillow, but I can see it coming in handy for a smaller baby. The whole cover has lots of padding under it, so this seat is very comfortable!

Other:
Some owners have noticed that the CS feature isn't accurate, so make sure you read your manual on how to use the CS feature correctly and contact Britax with any problems. Personally, I know how tight to make my kiddos' straps, I just got the CS version because it had the cute Lauren cover that I love LOL

Summary:

Pros: Easy to install, nice tall shell, 65 pound FF weight limit, easy to adjust harness, very comfortable, RF and FF lock offs, extra "goodies" like pads and velcro to keep the harness out of the way so it doesn't get buried under the child when you put them in the seat.
Cons: Expensive, shallow seat (at 3.5 yrs, my DS's legs were a bit cramped RF)

Pictures:

DD was 16 months old here. (she is very tall for her age) HUGS may be removed for RF, but are required for FF. IMO, it's easier to get a good harness fit RF with them off.

ignore the nose picking LOL but look at the pretty Lauren cover!

no slumping head when she sleeps!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

February 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Installation and Use:

Installation: SUPER easy install!!! I have only ever done a LATCH install with this seat but I have no doubt a seatbelt install would be just as easy.

LATCH: LATCH is a breeze! by far the best LATCH I have used.

Harness Use: very easy to adjust the harness! the no re thread harness is great!

Cleaning: I have not yet washed the cover, though I really should as its dirty, I too have the same colour as the other posters

Headwings: The headwings were one of the main reasons I picked the boulevard (and the no rethread harness) I also ditto that they stop my DD head slumping when sleeping.

Padding:padding is very plush, the belly pad and shoulder strap covers are great!

Other:
I have issues with the CS feature, it clicks way too early but I didn't buy the seat for the CS feature, I bought it because of the cover. Make sure you check the harness yourself don't just trust the CS feature as I find mine clicks far to early.

Summary:

Pros: Easy install, plush cushioning, no re thread harness, can be RF tethered (a HUGE selling point to me) head wings are great when your LO falls asleep.
Cons: Shallow seat and not suitable for newborns

Pictures:

will come back and do this!
November 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
We have a britax advocate. We love it and it lets me know my baby is safe. if you check out their website you can see all of their great safety features: side impact protection, steel bars...
My family uses it. My friends use britax. I continue to bea big britax fan because I know I am putting my baby in a high quality car seat.

I am a proud member of the britax safety squad and these opinions are my own

Tags
britax , britax boulevard

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search