advanced for age education

Forum: Moms of Preschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Preschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Hi,
My son is 4yrs old and has always been pretty ahead of the game. But now he is REALLY ahead of the game, he is beginning to read, knows all letters and their sounds in upper and lower case, knows #'s up to at least 20, can do simple math & subtraction, knows every basic shape and a lot of geometrical shapes, knows all colors, and then some, knows all animals and their sounds, he writes stories, like paragraph long stories. He writes letters and grocery lists. He draws recognizable pictures of people, buildings, animals, shapes, he knows a good amount of geography, like maybe 4-5 countries, and 5-10 states etc etc etc. I seriously could go on and on (even more then I just did)
My problem is his birthday is in november. He can't start kindergarten until sept 2014. If he is already at roughly beg 1st grade level now, where will he be in a year and a half? He will be soo bored in school, and he is a boy, so will therefor cause trouble.
Anyway I home school him only because he ASKS to be taught these things. I kinda want him to slow down on this absorbing knowledge thing, but won't say no when he asks to be taught how to read...
So I am looking for ideas for how to keep his brain busy, without him getting too much further ahead of himself...
Specific activities and toys would be appreciated!
TIA!
February 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome!!!

i am sure it can be tough having an advanced child. trying to keep them stimulated.
i am sorry i dont have any ideas for an advanced child. but i would say try add in lots of outings, and lots of imagination play.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

April 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Weight Loss Expert
Congratulations with how your kid learn so advanced. It feels so good to see our kid's improvement day by day.
May 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM
depending on where you live - library, museums are a great resource. when he does start school, see if his teachers have suggestions. and of course there are lots of resources on-line for parents who are home-schooling. (i am new to jm so cannot add a link yet so an error message informed me.) where i live we have a toy lending library that also has a play space. they have loads of toys that i could never have the space for let alone afford to buy them all. a lot of them are educational.
May 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Keep his desire for learning open and fueled. Let him be advanced. Have the school test him or keep homeschooling him. My son knew a lot of the same info at 2yo, like shapes, numbers, colors, sounds, sign language, spanish, and so forth. He is 5yo now and he can count to 100 and do other academic miracles. My 5yo also has Autism and memorized everything.

Leslie

June 27th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran
My daughter was advanced and my son is as well. Don't ever limit or slow them down. My 3 yr old also knows shapes, counts to 20, knows letters and sounds, can read some simple 3 letter words, and I discovered, loves the human body. So we gave him a human body book, and he knows the name of all of the organs, where they go, the bones, how the digestive system works - it's crazy! I encourage it. My daughter is now 10 and has been in a gifted class since 2nd grade. There she is challenged and still getting straight A's. I encourage her to read as much as possible about anything that interests her. She never got bored in school, because she was allowed to move on at her own pace within the class. Talk to area schools and see which ones have gifted programs, accelerated programs, etc... Hope this helps!

Web Designer at Studio239Design.com, and Creator of SWFLbaby.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search