I need help!!! Tips for potty training

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaby&Emmy'sMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
the follow tips are taken from previous members of the potty training board... please feel free to share your own tips!

- put child in underwear all day, rather than using pull-up's
- be positive & don't get upset about accidents
- just start!!
- get them used to sitting on the toilet & potty chair
- don't push it - routines are good, but don't force your child
- don't compare your child's potty training progress to other childrens
- look for patterns - is there a usual time each day they wet? is there a particular amount of time after drinks that they wet?
- until they are going to the potty/toilet without being asked, ask regularly if they need to go
- children are ready to start potty training at different ages
- praise them & show how happy you are when they successfully use the potty/toilet
- when they show interest in potty training, take advantage of it
- if it isn't working, stop & try a few weeks, or even months later

KERRY2009 likes this.

May 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
use treats to help reward children if they go potty
June 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM
It really depends on your child. My oldest boy wasn't potty trained until he was about 3.
We tried everything, stickers, skittles, toys, pull-ups, cloth pants, etc. It was SO frustrating!!
Unfortunately, your child gets to decide what really works!

My youngest 2 were much easier. Definitely wait until they start showing signs that they're ready. It will save you the frustration!!
July 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
my son is 21 months old and for the past 3 or 4 months my husband and i have been tring to potty train him. we baught a potty for him and he loved going when his dad went rhen about a month later it was like " potty? yea right" so we let him run around naked then a diaper at night, well he started peeing on my furniture so we started getting more agressive with the potty it got put in our living room. he started to use it more! my nieghbor brought me some under wear down 1 day and he put them on he let me know when he had to pee. i was so happy and it is so cute cause he grabs himself an crosses his legs and does a lil cry,,,, when we go out into public i put pose pads in his under wear for accidents outside the house. he will let us know when he has to pee but when he has to poop that another story he wont go unless he has a diaper on or under wear on.that still needs work,,,, but he is doing great so far....

October 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
We used Disney Princesses tattoos as a reward because she loved them so much. Try to find something that you can use as a reward that your child loves. Also, we used a potty seat that our child was comfortable with not only at home, but while traveling or shopping. We bought her the On-the-Go Inflatable potty seat at onthegoinflatables. It was something that she was very familiar with using at home or away. We bought 2 so she never noticed the difference.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:05 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
don't ask "do you have to go potty?" 9 times out of 10, the answer will be "no"

instead say, "DC, it's time to go potty." reward that they even tried.

1 M&M for trying
2 M&Ms for peeing
3 M&Ms for pooping

do this every half hour.......set a timer if you have to (I did)

April 29th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Regular
i am waiting for the warmer weather to start potty training with my 2.5 year old...I think i will try to M&M approach since that is her favorite candy....wondering how long it will take...I guess it depends on the child....we start preschool in the fall and she has to be potty trained by then...keeping my fingers crossed....
August 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
We did the naked method. My son is about 17 and a half months old and we have him naked all day at hom with the potty seat in the front room. If he started to pee we would put him on the potty and say "we pee on the potty not on the floor!" but in an encouraging and not angry way. He caught on fairly quickly and eventually started to pee on the potty on his own. He would go and sit on it and go. Sometimes he would go and sit on it and try to go too Any time he would try he would get lots of excited praise, if he produced it got even more excited! When he went we would walk with him to the big toilet to dump out the pee, he would drop some toilet paper in the toilet (he would get his own square to throw in which he loved) and help flush it down. After maybe four or five days he started to have very few misses and although I do remind him sometimes to go he often does it on his own now. After close to a week we have him in underwear and when he goes to sit down I pull them down for him. So far after a day and a half no wet underwear and barely any reminding. No bribery needed so far! He eats up the excitement he starts when he produces and he beams with pride on his own when he goes. So far so good! I know it will take time to really be solid but so far so good!
September 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
hmmm... i just read and learn..
November 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi, I have twins that are turning 2 in December. I want to start potty training them the day after they turn two. They are familiar with the potty and know that they are to pee or poo on it. We encourage them and never scold them if nothing happens. If anyone has advice for training twins pls let me know. Thanks
November 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With boys I heard about the cherrio trick. When the child goes potty put a couple cherrios in the toilot and have him try to pee on them. My friends used it for their boys and it worked good.
March 2nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Twoboysmaybemore's Avatar Veteran
I used the 3 day potty training method when my son was 25 months. It was really hard work but it worked! After 3 days he was dry. Day and night. Pee and poop. Also, he was showing NO signs of readiness. He would wake up soaked every single morning. He never showed any interest in going potty. Was never bothered by a wet diaper. I never thought I would be able to do it in 3 days.
My experience with the 3 day method. <----click to read my blog entry about it.
---6 early losses---
Joey- 7/15/10

February 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
The best advice I ever got was to not push them until they show an interest and understanding for it. If you push too early you'll prolong it. I tried to always make a big deal about when I went potty. He started to want to do the same.
July 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone. My daughter is 2 and a half and i have another baby on the way! She tells me when she goes to toilet. And hates being wet or dirty. She doesn't mind sitting on the pottys but hates the big toilet. But when i sit her on potty she won't go at all.By the way ,i dowloaded a great app called potty training learning with the animals....my daughter loved it and help her a lot!
September 2nd, 2013, 10:15 PM
I think you can try this.I tried the method talked about potty training learning with the animals app... Can really recommend it!
October 22nd, 2013, 02:32 AM
My mom-in law taught me the old way...make it a routine after each feeding to burp the child and in the afternoon and evening to encourage baby to pass motion by making "mmph" noise....but its not the most scientific
October 24th, 2013, 03:35 AM
We found a children's book called Pip and Posy - The Little Puddle. Its quite a cute story with great pictures and was really helpful with our daughter.
November 14th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Hey thats great and interesting out of babies potty training. Each one saying different training method. But everything is good and helpful for me and every folks i hope so. I sure i will share this to my friends and of course this will very much helpful for my future baby days too...
April 29th, 2014, 01:47 AM
A lot of people have gone through Carwyn Turbo Potty Training and I have received many good remarks about this. I am also gonna try it as it looks the best.
May 15th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Good tips for me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search