Just popping in to share some tips for reluctant poopers...

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
mlee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have finally succeeded in fully potty training our DD. She began training early and was completely pee trained a couple of weeks after she turned 2. We had put her in underwear a few days after she turned 2, and I can count on one hand how many pee accidents she had in total. Poop though, was a COMPLETELY different story. She withheld, became constipated, would only let little bits go at a time, so that she was going (mostly in her pants unless I could catch it in the potty) around six or seven times a day or more. I tried Miralax (at my pediatricians suggestion) but was never able to adjust it correctly because I would stop it if she became too loose.

Here's what finally worked. I started her on Miralax again. When she got so loose that she couldn't hold it, it just happened to be before a birthday party she'd been looking forward to. I sat her on the potty after catching her going in her pants and I said, "You need to finish on the potty and you need to let all your poops out. If you don't and you mess your pants at Erik's party, we will have to come straight home." This was true, because she was so loose, that I didn't feel I could comfortably change her at my friends house without getting poop everywhere. My friend only lives a couple of houses away, so I could make a quick getaway if need be. But she did it! I left her there for a little while and the potty was pretty much filled. (TMI sorry). She never went again the whole time we were at the party! After that I just decided to put her on the potty in the morning and tell her she has to try. If she fusses, I just tell her where we are going that day and if she poops now, she won't mess her pants where ever we go. Sometimes she fusses about it, but every morning, she goes! I kept her on the miralax, but lessened the dose, and that keeps her loose enough that when she tries she can produce something. If it isn't very substantial, I just have her try the next time she has to pee. We have been accident free since that party 3 weeks ago!

Just wanted to share because I know how frustrating poop can be . After 8 long months, we finally got it!

February 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Good for you and thanks for sharing.

Also for information purposes, there is a link to high fiber foods to allow a LO to go without meds such as miralax. However, you do have those reluctant kids that no matter what you do, they're just going to hold it.

I'm glad you found something though, and with being that constipated, she probably needed that little extra oomph to get her to go. LOL

Welcome back by the way. I was wondering where you were!
February 10th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Super Mommy
With my 5 year old I had to use Mylanta ( DR okayed) We still had trouble for a while she got constipated too.

Now my 18 month old tells me (kind of) that he wants a diaper when he needs to poop. He's gone pee a few times and loves the pottie. I just need to set the time to really do it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search