Is this normal...

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Im assuming it is, but i have no experience with this, so i figured i would ask.

I put a diaper on my daughter for naps and bedtime, and currently when we go out, since i dont think she is ready for outtings. ( ive only gone out 1 time in the week we have been training)
When it comes time to take the diaper off, and put undies back on, she throws a huge fit. i usually have to bribe her with something positive, if she takes her diaper off and goes pee pee on the potty. once she has the diaper off and has gone pee, she is completely fine, she puts her undies on no problem, and goes about her day.

im assuming the diaper is a security type item for them, especially when starting out, but i dont know if im handling it the right way.

any advice??
February 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
My son did the same thing initially, but we didn't go out for a long time, mainly because it was winter when we started and it was cold - thankfully.

But I just made the decision that underwear was going to be the method of choice and there was no other alternative. Once he got used to wearing underwear and got the jist of going on the potty, we completely switched to pull-ups because it looked like underwear. We did the same thing: naps, night time and going out.

I think at this point, switch her over to pull-ups. It will look more like underwear than anything, still in diaper form, as you know.

Only use pull-ups when absolutely necessary and just make sure that the focus is on underwear at all times. The moment she wakes up from a nap, or gets home from your outing and wakes up in the morning, the first thing off is the pull-ups and on with the underwear. Don't wait - do it immediately, and don't give in (which it doesn't sound like you are doing, but just reinforcing).

Hope this helps a little bit. If not, ask away and I'll try to help again.
February 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i do usually switch her over immediately when she wakes up, or when we come in.
Ive just been trying not to be 'mean' about changing to undies from a diaper. i dont want her to associate potty time with being upset,ect.

we use the overnight diapers at night, do you think the pull ups will hold as much? she has a FULL diaper in the morning, only the overnights have ever been able to help.
February 11th, 2010, 12:11 AM
~DaemonMykailasMum~'s Avatar 1 of Each is such a Treat
my son is 3 and a half and he is only about halfway potty trained He is SO tuff.. He REFUSES to poop on the potty.. out right REFUSES.. Daemon doesnt mind getting undies on, BUT as soon as he has to poop, he started SCREAMING at me for a diaper.. like Mad screaming, not crying.. and I get down to his level, and calmy say "Daemon, lets go poop on the potty, you dont need a diaper to go poop, thats what the potty is for.. Big boys poop on the potty, not in diapers." And he continues to scream at me, I do this for about 45 minutes before I cave in and put one on him.. Im at a complete loss

February 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Pull-ups are meant for toddler size pees, so I say try a sample of that at night, but get the night ones. If they don't do well, then go the next size up.

Caleb was a big pee-er at night and we rarely had an accident. The times we did, was because either my husband or I didn't push his penis downward and had it laying upward. Being that you have a daughter, you should be ok with this aspect of it.

But I recommend the pull-ups. She is able to pull them down herself just like underwear (if she's at that point yet), and she'll soon associating that as close to underwear.

As for Daemon, do you actually put him on the potty when he has to go poop? You didn't mention that you did, so I have to assume you actually talk to him. If you don't, I'd put him the potty and kind of "force" the issue. I had to do it with my son and it tore my heart out, but eventually he just let loose one day and he did it and we've never looked back. It took him awhile to let it go though.

Pooping is a whole other form of potty training. Poop is their last bit of control and they are not going to want to give it up. Once they do it though, it's heaven from there.

Since he is underwear, keep him in underwear period. He's either going to A)do it in his underwear - which I doubt he'll do since he wants the PU, or B) He'll eventually just go on the potty. My son got the point that he would do it in his PU at night, and then do it in his sleep. LOL. Which is fine too. Then at least you know when he's going to do it and you can go accordingly. Put him in a bath at night and let the warmth calm an d relax his bowls, and I bet you'll catch one.

Just go with the flow, but at the same time, you are the mommy and you have to put your foot down and don't give in. As it is right now, he's giving you the rules of how this is going to go. He's proven that he can be trained, so it's just a matter of breaking down the control that he has for this last bit.

Then after that, you can move on to night and nap training. That's really "fun"
February 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
~DaemonMykailasMum~'s Avatar 1 of Each is such a Treat
Yep, I put him on the potty, sorry I didnt mention that lol.. But yes, I do, and he screams for me "Let him down" grabbing my shoulders, etc.. and I just cant bring myself to hold him down on the potty when hes screaming for me let him down

February 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Aww....I know it's hard. If you don't feel comfy, then that's ok. Just realize that you're telling him that eventually you're going to give in.

He'll get it when he's ready, I promise. But keep trying it and eventually it's going to click.
February 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Larudy24's Avatar Veteran
hi, i am new here. i am also in the sept ddc and i would like my son out of diapers before i have another baby in diapersl. he is just turning 2. He will go pee in the potty if you remind him, which keeps his diapers dry most of the day, but i can never catch him to poop on the toilet. he will hide, usually behind the curtains or under his bed if he has to poop. Why? he loves to pee in the toilet, loves to flush, but pooping seems to be a shameful thing he hides to do..i'm lost on this one.

Thank you Ameriguat for my beautiful Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search