August 2008 PR Friday Field Trip

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ladies of the Potty Training board thank you for hosting us this week. The ladies of the August 2008 PR have some questions for you. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer our questions.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
March 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
so glad to have you!

I may be in and out today because the weather is so nice and we're getting snow tomorrow, so I might be a little late in answering.
March 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily is potty trained and has been for almost 2 months now. I'm due with our 2nd baby in the next few weeks and I'm worried about Lily regressing and wanting a diaper or something. Do you have any advice about what to do if Lily wants to be like the baby and wear a diaper at that point? Do I let her or do I just insist she stays in her panties?

March 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
I had the same issue with Caleb as I was pregnant with my second during his Potty Training time.

Being that Lily isn't two yet, there might be some regression issues. Research has shown that children who are potty trained before two have a higher rate of regressing. They aren't sure if it's due to life changes, stresses, etc.

Keep in mind, this doesn't mean that she will, just the statistics show that it's a higher probability.

Here's my suggestion. Talk the baby up a lot and that she is a big girl and not a baby. Being that you are two- three weeks out, I would start on this now and keep it up even after baby is born. Make sure she really understands. Also, let her be involved with your new daughter by getting the diapers, burp clothes, bottles (if you are feeding that way), or anything that she can do to help and each time she does it, tell her that "big girls do these kinds of things, not little babies. And big girls don't wear diapers, etc" Really hype the whole big girl thing.

Keep her in undies at all costs. Don't go back because you're teaching her that when life changes, it's ok to wear a diaper/pull-ups. Be consistent, and just be reassuring.

This is going to be a change for her, so you might have SOME issues, but if you're consistent with her, she should do just fine.
March 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hi - I have 19-month twin girls who haven't started potty training yet. They show an interest in playing with the potty we bought, and will sit on it and smile, but they haven't caught on to the rest yet.

One girl is telling us after she poops, but not when she pees. The other doesn't say anything, but she does squat to do her business & so we can at least pinpoint when she is going. She does usually nod if we ask if she needs to poo-poo (when we hear her trying to go), but I'm not totally sure that she understands fully.

In your opinion, do kids need to be more self-aware of their bodily functions before you can begin potty-training in earnest? My gut is that they're not ready. I'm just trying to get them to have fun sitting on their potty, and my plan is that if they happen to go while sitting, I will praise the heck out of them. I am also very verbal about their peeing and pooping so that they begin to understand what it is.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

March 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
I think you are definitely going in the right direction. I potty introduced my son at 18 months. I bought a potty, sat it in his bathroom, and we put him on it right before bath time. We did that until he was two, and then that was the magic age that we started to potty train him.

He was fully pee and poop trained in 6 months, but night-time training took a little bit, so it took him another 6-months to grasp that one, so all in all, a full year for everything isn't all that bad.

I think continuing what you are doing, follow your instinct/gut and follow them. Waiting a little longer for them to grow, letting their anatomy grow will do wonders for them.
March 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son (18 months old) usually tells us after he goes, but not before. Is there a way to get him to recognize that he needs to go before he does? Also, he likes to sit on the potty, but rarely goes in it. I'm not that great about getting him on the potty, though, since I just had a new baby. How many times should I take him to the potty each day just to try? What are good times to do it (before nap/after nap, etc)?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
March 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, my question does not relate to my Aug 08'er, it's about my 4 yr old. My oldest turned 4 in October. He's on the autism spectrum. He has some crazy fear of the toilet. He throws a tantrum when we try to get him to sit on his potty. He absolutely will not sit on the big toilet because he's scared. Has anyone ever dealt with this type of thing? I think at some point I have probably read about every single potty training strategy out there, but they all require the child to sit on the potty!

He's at an autism school and they have given us a lot of info on habit training, and they feel that's the best thing to do right now. Another girl in the class has had success with this method. Anyone have experience with it? We have decided on the one time each day that we're going to start with, but we still have to deal with the tantrums to get him to sit....

March 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Diana - He's still young yet, IMO, but I would definitely encourage his curiosity.

With my son, we started introducing at 18 months. His potty chair was in his bathroom and we started off putting him on the pot every night right before his bath with the water on. No pressures, no frustrations. It was just something for him to see, get used to being there, etc. If he did something, great and we praised him to know end. If he didn't do anything, that was ok too, and we just explained that sitting on the potty was for big boys and one day he was going to be a big boy and go pee pee on the potty.

I never put him on the pot more than that really. I just mostly wanted him to get to used to it, know that it was his etc. We didn't start putting him on the pot more than that until we just decided that he was going to potty train. I think he could have been trained early, but I just wanted his body to grow, his anatomy to strengthen etc, and research is showing that potty training before the ages of 2-3 has a higher probability for regression issues (not all cases, but some).

So, I would just encourage him to do what he's doing by sitting on his potty and the rest will come later when he's older and you really start to train him. That is when things will start to register because it will be done on a consistent basis.

Last edited by *1Boy1Girl*; March 19th, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
March 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
Hi, my question does not relate to my Aug 08'er, it's about my 4 yr old. My oldest turned 4 in October. He's on the autism spectrum. He has some crazy fear of the toilet. He throws a tantrum when we try to get him to sit on his potty. He absolutely will not sit on the big toilet because he's scared. Has anyone ever dealt with this type of thing? I think at some point I have probably read about every single potty training strategy out there, but they all require the child to sit on the potty!

He's at an autism school and they have given us a lot of info on habit training, and they feel that's the best thing to do right now. Another girl in the class has had success with this method. Anyone have experience with it? We have decided on the one time each day that we're going to start with, but we still have to deal with the tantrums to get him to sit....
Here's some stuff that I have found, and this might go a little bit with what the school has given you:

Doll - one that wets after feeding a bottle. You can probably find those kidns of dolls at like Big Lots or something like that. Explain to him how the baby goes pee after it drinks, and that baby needs to stay dry and needs to go to the potty. when you feed the baby the bottle, put the doll on the potty and let it go on the potty. Let your son participate by getting the doll to go.

Books/Videos - I didn't use books, but I got a potty training video as a gift and we played that for my son a lot. Find one that is eye-pleasing and one that he can connect with.

Open Door Policy - Forget privacy, let him see you guys use the bathroom, and to let him know that it's ok to sit on the potty and go.

Communication/Cards - If there is a speech delay, use picture cards and put them around the house so that he can actually tell you when he needs to go (if he's at that point).

Visual Aids - Set-up a schedule and put potty time on that schedule, so that he knows that it's going to be a part of his daily routine.

Reward System - I used this with my son and it helped him learn quick, and it seems to be a popular one with children with autism, so give this a go too. Find something that he likes that he doesn't get very often and use that as a motivator.

Social Stories - I found this that you could use for him: Teaching Children with Autism: Social Stories: Going to the Bathroom

No more diapers - find a time when you think he's got the idea about everything and put him in underwear. He's probably not going to like it, as with most children, but he'll learn quick that if he has to void, he'll go to the bathroom and he'll tell you.

Hope this helps a little bit.
March 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hi Ranee, I was wondering if it might help Sean to introduce a different potty? We have the FP frog potty. It's pretty basic, but very cute-looking, so the girls consider it a toy & play with it often. Maybe just letting him play with it for awhile would help? Also, maybe a distraction technique used in combination might help? Leigh has gone through two phases where she's terrified of the bath. I used bubbles to lure her in - blowing them over her head, into the tub where sister was already waiting & playing (she usually won't get in unless sister is already in there). I don't have much experience with autism, just throwing this out there. Our finicky kids keep us on our toes don't they.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search