night time toilet training (x-posted)

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im thinking about starting to night time train DS. he will be 3 on tuesday. Problem is though, I dont trust him and my DD (turning 2 next month) to be with out supervision. Some days I cant even go to the toilet w/o them getting into stuff they KNOW they shouldnt. For example, they know they shouldnt go into the kitchen draws, Ill go to the loo (takes like 2 mins top) and they get right in there. As soon as they hear the toilet flush they are scampering to put everything back and close the draw. If I toilet train him for during the night, then I am going to have to leave their bedroom door open so he can get to the toilet if needed. and I know from past experience that when morning comes, if that door isnt closed, they will let themself out of their bedroom (they share a room) and run riot. Last time they completely flattened the car battery! or another time, he got into the food cupboard and opened all the biscuits and opened A WHOLE CONTAINER of 100&1000's (sprinkles) So anyways, I guess my question is, how do you think I can toilet train him and make sure he is safe and not destorying my house at the same time?
I have tried saftey locks on the cupboards, but they break them off.

April 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
First off, I LOVE your blinkie about potty training. LOL. Wish I had that for when I was potty training my son.

Ok, now down to serious stuff.

I started night training my son when I had my daughter. I was going to be up anyway, and it worked out for me.

This was my routine.

- Stop fluids about 1-2 hours before bedtime (more often than that it was 1 hour, sometimes he did it, other times not)
- Go to bed normal time, go pee beforehand
- When I went to bed, get him up to go pee
- Every time I got up with my daughter (which was every 3-4 hours), I'd get him up and get him to go pee.

I did this for a few days, then increased the time I got up with by an hour and finished out the week with that.

The following week, I allowed for an accident.

- take him potty before he went to bed and right before I went to bed
- wait until he woke up with an accident (with him, I knew he was wet when he woke up and cried, so it was an easy gauge for me)

Then, I knew how long he could actually hold it, and I took him just before that mark.

Did that for about a week, maybe more, then got rid of that wake up (the one before he had an accident).

Then he got sick, and I had to redo the night time because he was still rather new at it, but it only took a week to train him because he knew the gist of it.

Hope this helps. With you due in June, you could easily do this when you get up with the new baby, unless you want him trained before the baby is born.
April 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks. Ill have to try it when the bub is born!

April 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter night trained herself right before her third Birthday. I did pretty much same as above. Made sure she didn't have drinks a few hours before and I stay up pretty late so I take her potty before I go to bed which is a few hours after she goes to bed. Generally with limiting fluids, taking her to the bathroom before bed, and taking her one more time she never needs to get up again until morning.

If you go to bed fairly early, you may want to set an alarm and take him to the bathroom one more time. If she does wake up at all to go to the bathroom she is disoriented and always comes straight into my room first. I guess you won't know what he does in the middle of the night for bathroom until it starts happening?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search