omg out of ideas.....

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Amber...1...2...3's Avatar Super Mommy
hi, my name is Amber and I am the proud mom to two little girls and one son......My girls are at the age now that they need to be potty trained, maddie will b FOUR and natalee will be two. Maddie has no interest in potty training and I have ran out of ideas on what I can do. We have tried three different potty chairs, stickers, rewards, everything. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am loosing my mind, and savings too lol. Natalee is to the point now that she will sometimes tell you when she has to go potty. Both girls will go potty if you sit them on it, its just that maddie will not tell us when she has to go.

~ThAnKs To BrOoKe16 fOr My BeAuTiFuL sIgGy!~
April 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Aww...it takes them a little bit to have them tell you. Maddie is a little older for potty training, but it would still work the same. Natelee is the perfect age for training. They say the range should be 2-3 when you start.

Here is what I would recommend for both girls:

1) Pick a date and do it. No wavering. You are in control, not her.

2) Put her in underwear even if there are accidents.

3) Take her to the potty every half hour and let her sit there for 5 minutes. If she does something, GREAT. If not, that's ok and try again in another half hour. If she does go, put her on the pot again every half hour until she goes again. This will help you gauge how long she can hold it (it will vary from time to time because she's just learning. Once she gets the hang of it, it will become more and more consistent)

4) I totally recommend this watch. It will end up being more for you then her because you'll start to forget the time after awhile. But, she'll like it because it plays music, she'll know it's time to go potty, and it gives her something to look forward to.

5) Reward system. I personally use food as the motivator. M&Ms to be exact. Caleb got the hang of it REAL quick. The moment she does something on the potty, give her that treat right then and there, praise her to no end and let her know that she did a GREAT thing. You'll be surprised at how quick she'll learn when you give her that treat. It doesn't have to be M&Ms obviously, but give her something that she hardly gets at all. It will mean more to her, she'll learn quick, and it will be something VERY rewarding for her.

6) Once she gets the hang of going to the potty consistently for a half hour (about a week), then increase the time to 45 minutes and let her sit on the pot for about 10 minutes. This will start to teach her to hold it. If she has an accident, note the time that she did it and the last time that she pee on the pot. If she can hold it for 40 minutes, for example, then you know to take her every 40 minutes. Get her used to doing that for a week, then increase the time to an hour and so forth. I think the watch does 30, 60 and 90 minute increments.

7) Don't worry about catching poops right now. Get her pee trained first, then you can work on the poop later.

8) Don't get frustrated. This is a hard one for sure. It's hard not to get angry or frustrated with them. We parents think that they should be doing what we are doing, but you have to remember, they do not have the muscle tone to hold their urine. That is a learned thing and until she's able to do that, there WILL be accidents and lots of them. Be reassuring when she does have accidents, don't get angry and tell her that we'll try again. She needs to see the positive side of potty training and not see the negative.

9) Along the lines of accidents, she's not going to want to give up control. This is going to be a control issue and once you break her control on this, then potty training will go smoothly. Stick with it, be diligent and don't coddle her when she throws a fit. It's hard to see and go through for sure, but if you break down she knows that you are not serious - which goes back to number one - Pick a date and stick with it.

This is just a tentative guideline that I did for my son. Of course you can amend times and so forth for you and your child, but it should work the same. You can do it. Just stick with it and you'll find things will go much better.

Welcome to the board and hoping to see more of you and helping you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search