Our update

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So We are going on 10 months now of potty training with now success. I have tried putting him in underwear and setting a timer but that didn't work so I got the video Elmo's potty and DS loved it. He Learned from that that you go in the potty like a big boy but nothing. We even put lots of prizes on the wall if she goes #2 he gets one and have a candy jar if he goes #1 with nothing! If I ask him if he has to go he always tells me "No. I go in my diaper." I know when he goes #2 so when I ask him he'll hold it ALL day and then finally give in and go in his diaper when I'm not asking or watching so I know he can hold it. I can get him to pee if I ask but he still will go in his diaper. I'm starting to think he'll get potty trained when he's just about to go to Collage. Any advice?

August 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
The reason kids want to keep going in their diaper is that we have taught them for the past 2 (or 3 or 4) years that is the correct place to go. They are simply doing what we taught them. The diapers are made so 'well' that the child barely has an awareness they have gone. They can't 'feel' it.

I would try this:

Try to pick a week where you can keep him at home.
Put him into underwear and cotton pants. Yes, this could get messy. However, he will quickly learn the association between going and feeling it.
Put him on the potty immediately from waking, immediately after feeding, and every half hour while awake. Give him lots of opportunities to go.
Leave him in underwear and cotton pants 100% so he learns the association clearly.
He will probably cry when he wets himself. That is a good thing.

Take the sheets and comforter off his bed so you just have the plastic mattress.
Be prepared to be woken up through the night. A spray bottle of vinegar and some paper towels will come in handy.

When he does go on the potty, you can give him a small reward and say "good job" (not 'good boy'). Lots of praise. I'm sure you already do that.

PS. Maybe read my post "It's the diaper industry's fault....etc" in this forum. It will be a lot less stressful for you to start with your daughter before she is 1 years old. They can't argue back and they can't get off the potty if they aren't walking yet. And it's not so entrenched in their head yet that the diaper is the correct place to go.

Keep him in underwear + cotton pants until you can see he is 'getting it'. Once he is going pretty consistently on the potty, you could put the diaper back on so it is less stressful to go out and less stressful to continually watch for accidents etc. You will be so excited when you put him on the potty and the diaper is dry! I still smile every time it happens! But if he regresses, I would just go back to underwear + pants. The diaper on can make you less vigilent with giving him potty opportunities, so be sure that doesn't happen.

A lot of people say 'they will do it when they are ready'. This is a myth perpetuated by the diaper companies (the paid pediatricians of the diaper companies). Going to the bathroom on the potty is a skill, just like sleeping is and eating solids is. We do not wait until THEY say they are ready before we teach them this, do we? The parent decides, not the child.

Feel free to let me know if you need any support or have any questions.

PS. For future children, we need to start potty training before age 1. I know this is hard to imagine, but that is only because the diaper industry has been so successful at teaching us otherwise, which is obviously completely profit motivated.

*The average child across the world is potty trained by 1 year old.
*90% of the children in 1950 in the US were toilet trained by the age of 18 months.

This article summarizes this brilliantly:

Matt Metzgar: The Great Diaper Scam

Last edited by Meticulosity; August 12th, 2010 at 08:22 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search