best boy potty chair?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran
Hello, everyone!
My little 22 mo-old son just peed on the potty chair at daycare for the first time yesterday. He's shown no interest until now. Having potty trained my 2 girls, I have no experience with boys yet. I guess I'm looking for a potty chair that has a little cover thing in front to keep him from spraying outside of the potty. Make sense? The one we have has this flimsy peepee cover that he knocks down when he sits. Is there one that anyone would recommend for just starting out?? Thanks!
Nolan (October 9, 2008)
Joley (September 10, 2010)

August 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
I have 3 different ones I have used. Kinda compulsive, but each has it's benefits. I first used one like this:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....FindSrc=search

It was good in the beginning because it is bigger and more comfortable as I knew he'd be sitting for a long time (well 5 minutes, but that may seem like a long time while on the potty). And it plays a song when they go, so I could give positive feedback right away (although sometimes it played by mistake). This was his first pee on the potty ever, and I've never been so happy to hear music coming out of a potty! (This one has a floppy pee pee cover like you were saying, so you probably don't want this one.)

Then I went to using mostly the bjorn style (ikea for $3) like this:

IKEA | Baby | Changing tables & nursing | LÄTTSAM | Children's potty

I liked this because I could move it around easily. I just bought one for each level of the house and one for the car because it is so cheap. On this potty it is really easy to see if they have gone and give a reward. (you can see right in while they are sitting on it). It is low to the ground, so I could walk away and not worry about him falling off (he was young). There is a nice built in pee guard. He can't play with the pee guard or pull it off.

Now we have transitioned him to the kinda that sits on the toilet seat:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....FindSrc=search

This is much less of a nuisance to empty etc. He is sitting more stable now, so I don't worry about him falling off so much. It is easy to take when going over to friends etc. The only negative is it's a bit harder to see if he's gone pee. I have to listen for it (unless it's #2 - then that's easy!). The pee guard can't be pulled off, but he tried for a while, then gave up.

Hope this helps you with some of the pros/cons of each.

Last edited by Meticulosity; August 12th, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
August 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
We use the Baby Bjorn potty. We got it at Target. he can sit on it by himself no problems.

We use this at home on the big toilet when he wants to go on there, which he does sometimes and he seems fairly comfortable on it... http://www.amazon.com/PRIMO-Freedom-...3919599&sr=1-1

And then for travel we use this http://www.amazon.com/PRIMO-Folding-...bxgy_ba_text_b It folds up really small and fits in the diaper bag really well, it has no splash guard but if I put him to the side a little bit he does ok with not spraying everywhere. Have to help him hold it down a little too, going out is a little trickier

August 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have one of those fold up ones too, but it never seems to work! It is always moving around too much. I'm worried he'll fall in! I've resorted to using the green ikea potty in the parking lot before we go into where ever we're going. People I'm sure think I'm crazy, but I'm just used to it now. We get a lot of laughs.

August 13th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Veteran
Thanks so much, ladies! I'll give one of them a try. Congrats on your pregnancies, by the way!
Nolan (October 9, 2008)
Joley (September 10, 2010)

August 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks! - that's what brought me back here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search