How Old were yours?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Ambie213's Avatar Plus Size Mommies co-host
I was just wondering, how old was your child when you started PT/PL? My son is 19 months and we have been sitting on the potty since he was around 12 months. He loves to sit on it and he loves to flush the big potty. He's went #1 and #2 in the potty before, but he usually goes in his diaper. We sit on the potty at set times during the day and he goes in and sits on it sometimes during the day.
He knows when he's wet (we use cloth) and doesn't like it. Does anyone have any specific methods that they really liked or that worked really well? I don't mind letting him go "Nudie Patootie" for a little bit at a time, but I really don't like the idea of him running around all day that way.

Thank you Vicki... for my siggie!

August 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
My son is currently PTing and has been about a week and a half now. He is doing super awesome and REALLY catching on! He will be 18 months on the 25th. The method described here Potty Training Raising Rocco is really similar to what we have been doing. We let our son run around naked all day but you can do it with underwear too or loose pants I suppose. It is much easier in the beginning with the naked time to get them on the potty and to help them make that connection. So, if you are ok with a little bit of naked time then I say go for it. It clicked for my son pretty quick!

Whenever he would start peeing we would take him *while* he was peeing and put him on the potty saying "pee goes in the potty, not on the floor" and praise him for whatever went in the potty. Before long he was going and sitting on the potty all by himself and peeing! Poop took a little longer but yesterday he sat on the potty and had a BIG on on there all by himself. We don't really remind him to go anymore unless we are going out or right before naps and bed. We also have never used bribery or treats, just praise and that has been plenty for him. He wakes up dry from naps now so we only have him in a diaper at night anymore, and got a protective cover for his mattress. He goes right after his nap

I was so proud, yesterday we went out for dinner and we took him to the bathroom just before we left the restaraunt and he didn't go... But when we got close to home he started getting fussy and grabbing at himself and I put my hand back for him to hold it and he put it down there too and looked at me like, come on! When we got home we got him on the potty and he went like he had to go pretty bad. I was sooooo proud! He was holding it so he wouldn't wet his pants!!!

Good luck! I think right now sounds like a GREAT time to start PTing him if you have the time to do it I think a lot of it has to do with the time and energy you are willing to put in. My son beams every time he goes now, I love it! It can be a little frustrating at first but it is also soooo rewarding!
August 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
This is a great age to potty train. The earlier the better. Before they hit 2 at least they are still in that 'wanting to please' stage. Potty training after 2 seems to often turn into a battle between mom and toddler, which I imagine is very stressful.

I started at 9.5 months, and yes it is so rewarding. He is almost 1 and goes on the potty 80% (the 20% misses are the while sleeping).

As for specific methods, we just put him on the potty immediately upon waking, right after eating, and approx. every half hour while awake. If you just keep doing this and praising/rewarding each time they will make the association. My son will go pretty much right away when we put him on. He definitely knows what he's supposed to do on there.

For rewards in the beginning we just gave him a bite of frozen yogurt (called it ice cream - just sounds better) each time he went. Then after he had that mastered we only gave him the reward for going #2 because those had more misses. Then we only gave him the reward for going on the adult potty. Now, he doesn't really get rewards. He doesn't need them, as he just knows. We just give him praise.

August 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
PS. The Raising Rocco article is great. All of it is so true! My preference is to start a bit earlier...but everything in there made sense! It's pretty much what I did when my guy was 10 months to get him started.

August 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rachel is still working on potty training and she will be 3 next month. she will take herself to the potty most of the time. She still pees at night and during naps but when she is awake she goes for the most part. We put her in character underwear and she would cry if she got pee on them. pullups are now only used for bedtime.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search