Hello

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am new to this board but not to JM.

Breana just turned 3 and I want to get her potty trained. We are on day 1 of big girl panties.

Pull Ups don't work she just thinks they are a glorified diaper.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
Welcome! Below is my edited version of a previous post I made. No, pullups don't work. The diaper industry doesn't want them to work! If they actually helped to potty train our kids, then we wouldn't have to keep buying diapers from them, would we?

The reason kids want to keep going in their diaper is that we have taught them for the past 2 (or 3 or 4) years that is the correct place to go. They are simply doing what we taught them. The diapers are made so 'well' that the child barely has an awareness they have gone. They can't 'feel' it.

I would try this:

Try to pick a week where you can keep her at home.
Put her into underwear and cotton pants. Yes, this could get messy. However, she will quickly learn the association between going and feeling it.
Put her on the potty immediately from waking, immediately after feeding, and every half hour while awake. Give her lots of opportunities to go.
Leave her in underwear and cotton pants 100% so she learns the association clearly.
She will probably cry when she wets herself. That is a good thing.

Take the sheets and comforter off her bed so you just have the plastic mattress.
Be prepared to be woken up through the night. A spray bottle of vinegar and some paper towels will come in handy.

When she does go on the potty, you can give her a small reward and say "good job" (not 'good girl'). Lots of praise. I'm sure you already do that.

Keep her in underwear + cotton pants until you can see she is 'getting it'. Once she is going pretty consistently on the potty, you could put the diaper back on so it is less stressful to go out and less stressful to continually watch for accidents etc. You will be so excited when you put her on the potty and the diaper is dry! I still smile every time it happens! But if she regresses, I would just go back to underwear + pants. The diaper on can make you less vigilent with giving her potty opportunities, so be sure that doesn't happen.

A lot of people say 'they will do it when they are ready'. This is a myth perpetuated by the diaper companies (the paid pediatricians of the diaper companies). Going to the bathroom on the potty is a skill, just like sleeping is and eating solids is. We do not wait until THEY say they are ready before we teach them this, do we? The parent decides, not the child.

Feel free to let me know if you need any support or have any questions. Good luck and keep us updated!

PS. For future children, we need to start potty training before age 1. I know this is hard to imagine, but that is only because the diaper industry has been so successful at teaching us otherwise, which is obviously completely profit motivated.

*The average child across the world is potty trained by 1 year old.
*90% of the children in 1950 in the US were toilet trained by the age of 18 months.

This article summarizes this brilliantly:

Matt Metzgar: The Great Diaper Scam

Also, here's my previous post about why I think these potty training problems are happening to SOO many moms. And another really good article below it on the topic.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-problems.html

Potty Training Raising Rocco (previously posted by Aimee). Thanks, love this article!

Last edited by Meticulosity; August 22nd, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
August 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rachel will turn 3 ina week. I've learned even if you run out of underwear do not put her back in a pullup because she will still go in them. Overly praise every pee and poo at first so she knows this is what is good. And reward with something she likes.
August 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
Good to know. We clap and sing a song "Cole went pee on the potty, Cole went pee on the potty." I'm not really the singing type, haha, but he seems to like it.

Then when he goes poo he gets a bite of frozen yogurt. (we call it icecream - it just sounds better!). It's a hard reward, because you can't easily tote it around with you, but it was the only thing he liked at a young age. I tried smarties, and mini rolo's, but he just spit them out. Frozen yogurt is better for them anyways I guess. If we were in a different part of the house I would just tell him "You get a bite of ice cream" and even at 10 months old he QUICKLY learned what ice cream was!

August 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for the information.

I will have to pick a weekend and just stay home. It is going to be hard cause I just got a 2nd job so DH is going to have to help out.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search