how long will it take

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my twins are 3.5 and they would pee on the potty occasionally up until last week when I found out they need to be 100% trained for preschool. Since that time I have been putting them in underwear all day and night. They have about 6 accidents a piece each day and so far no poops on the potty. My daughter will sometimes go potty on her own but my son is on the autism spectrum and he is needing me to remind him. They go to the potty about 12 times a day (at least every hr when awake.

if we need to leave the house i put pullups on top of the underwear so they still feel wet but don't make a mess.

how long should this take to get better? I'm exhausted with laundry and changing their sheets twice a day. I should add they get drinks about 5 times a day so 50oz a day I guess.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

August 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
~DaemonMykailasMum~'s Avatar 1 of Each is such a Treat
I honestly don't know... My son is 4 in 7 weeks and he still isnt pooping on the potty He will pee all day, every day, no problems.. But when it comes to pooping.. Not happening... I dont know what to do.. My daughter is only 18 mths and shes already showing signs.. Im going to start her when I get back from a wedding trip in October (Daemons bday as well).. Seems like Im going to be potty training them together, and they're 2.5 yrs apart Just doesnt seem right, seems like he (Daemon) should have been done a while ago.. They probably only need about 28-32 oz's a day, depending on the weather.. If its really super hot and dry, they would need a bit more.. for wetting, try not giving them anything to drink about an hour before nap/bed (Not sure if they nap or not) and have them pee on the potties before they lay down..
Like I said in the beginning, I honestly dont know when it will get better, Im still waiting for it myself

August 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
It sounds like you are doing the right thing by leaving them in underwear 24 hours a day. Do you have pants over the underwear? I put cotton pants over my son's underwear so he'd really feel it when he went. Otherwise it seemed that the pee just went on the floor through the underwear and he sometimes would barely notice.

I'm guessing you've tried rewards, stickers, lots of praise etc.?

I also only let him drink his liquids with his meals. Then I know better when to put him on the potty. I put him on the potty right after eating. Then 10-15 minutes later if he didn't go. After that, it is about every half hour on the potty. It sounds like a lot, but until they are in the habit of holding it, they are used to just going anytime they feel like it. And RIGHT when they wake up. No bed time drink.

When I first let my son go naked I was shocked to see that he would pee, then pee again less than 5 minutes later, then AGAIN 5 minutes later. I was thinking, 'HUH?'. Now he doesn't do that.

When my son goes poop in his diaper, I will say "oh, you went poo in your diaper." Then put him on the potty and say "this is where you need to go poo". I also always ask him after he goes pee, if he has to go poo.

If you watch them like a hawk, you will know when they are about to go poo, you could then quickly throw them on the potty, so they start to make the association. I only now give rewards for pooping on the potty, not peeing. (because this is where the challenge is). It also, takes them a bit longer to start to go poop, so maybe they just need more time on the potty?

I would say it was a month before my son started to really be consistent on the potty during the day. (still working on sleep times)

PS. Looks like you have little one. Here's my previous post about why I think these potty training problems are happening to SOO many moms. And a couple of really good articles below it on the topic.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-problems.html (It is because of the diaper industry that we have so many potty training problems!)

Matt Metzgar: The Great Diaper Scam

Potty Training Raising Rocco (previously posted by Aimee). Thanks, love this article!

Good luck, keep us updated!

Last edited by Meticulosity; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search