New here, not sure if/how to get started

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2010, 11:11 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone. I have a 20 month old DD, Emma and I think it is time to start getting serious about potty learning. For the past 2 months, I have been sitting her on the potty chair when I change her diaper and she has peed in the potty chair a few times. When she poops in her diaper, we go together to the toilet, put the poop in the toilet and say "bye-bye poopy!" and flush it, which she think is really fun. We cloth diaper and lately I have been putting her in a fitted with no cover around the house so I can tell as soon as she is wet and sit on the potty right away. I've noticed lately that she will often stay dry for an hour or two at a time. She does know when she poops and will bring me a clean diaper and say "stinky" or "poop" So I think she is ready, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing until she starts to "get it" on her own and go to the potty on her own? Or should I take a few days off work and put her in panties and get it done in a few days? There are so many opinions on the "best way" to do it and I am just so overwhelmed! Help!

August 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, my son's still not fully potty trained and he's almost 3! lol. He does have the peeing down, but not pooping. Anyway, what I did was just put him in his underwear and he got the hang of it (peeing in the potty) after a few days.

Your daughter sounds like she is ready to start potty training!! She is aware of when she has to be changed. But like you said, if you're working, that's going to be difficult. Maybe just keep her in her underwear while you're home?? (at first I only had my son in his underwear if we were at home... so it wasn't an all day thing. and eventually he started not wanting to pee in his diaper). or if whoever babysits her is willing to help with the potty training, that would be good!

Like you said, there's a million different ways... I only tried one. Just do whatever is easiest for you/whatever you think will work, and if it doesn't, try something else!! Or if she's resistant, wait a couple weeks and then try again.

Good luck! HTH

September 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
You sound like you have made a great start! She is definitely ready!

Taken from my previous post:

I would try this:

Try to pick a week where you can keep her at home.
Put her into underwear and cotton pants. Yes, this could get messy. However, she will quickly learn the association between going and feeling it.

If possible also try to leave her naked sometimes. This way you can try to catch her just as she is starting to pee or poo and have the potty close by and throw her on. You can see it in their face when they are about to go. They have to stop what they are doing to concentrate for a second. Load her up with fluids and watch her like a hawk for the next 45 minutes. You are pretty much guaranteed to have 3 or 4 opportunities to catch pee during that time.

Put her on the potty immediately from waking, immediately after feeding, and every half hour while awake. Give her lots of opportunities to go.
Leave her in underwear and cotton pants 100% (or naked) so she learns the association clearly.
She will probably cry when she wets herself. That is a good thing.

Take the sheets and comforter off her bed so you just have the plastic mattress.
Be prepared to be woken up through the night. A spray bottle of vinegar and some paper towels will come in handy.

When she does go on the potty, you can give her a small reward and say "good job" (not 'good girl'). Lots of praise. I'm sure you already do that.

Keep her in underwear + cotton pants (or naked) until you can see she is 'getting it'. Once she is going pretty consistently on the potty, you could put the diaper back on so it is less stressful to go out and less stressful to continually watch for accidents etc. You will be so excited when you put her on the potty and the diaper is dry! I still smile every time it happens! But if she regresses, I would just go back to underwear + pants. The diaper on can make you less vigilent with giving her potty opportunities, so be sure that doesn't happen.

A lot of people say 'they will do it when they are ready'. This is a myth perpetuated by the diaper companies (the paid pediatricians of the diaper companies). Going to the bathroom on the potty is a skill, just like sleeping is and eating solids is. We do not wait until THEY say they are ready before we teach them this, do we? The parent decides, not the child.

Feel free to let me know if you need any support or have any questions.

PS. For future children, we need to start potty training before age 1. I know this is hard to imagine, but that is only because the diaper industry has been so successful at teaching us otherwise, which is obviously completely profit motivated.

*The average child across the world is potty trained by 1 year old.
*90% of the children in 1950 in the US were toilet trained by the age of 18 months.

This article summarizes this brilliantly:

Matt Metzgar: The Great Diaper Scam

Let us know how it goes!! You will be surprised how much progress you will make in one week if you take off the diapers!

September 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Captain Pieffle
My DD#1 is 2 1/2 years old. I started around 20 months. I'd sit her on the potty and put her in panties when at home. I'd cheer and reward with 1 smartie for a pee. I'd give two smarties for a poop. I did the timer thing, where I'd set her on the potty every 30 mins or so, but I found I'd always just miss the right time. Soon after the timing experiment, she refused to sit on the potty at all. I would ask her if she wanted to go pee and she would scream "NO" at me. I gave up. At about 28 months she was being really quiet one day I went looking for her and she was sitting on the potty, with her diaper on the floor. "Brooke Pee" she said. And sure enough she had gone pee in the potty! And since then no accidents (with pee) and diapers only at night time for her. She would always wait for the diaper to go poop tho, I'd always remind her that poop goes in the potty and not on my floor or in her panties or in her diaper. About a week after the pee incident she started pooping in the potty too. I should also mention she doesn't get smarties anymore, at least not as a reward for using the potty. We've moved on to colors and numbers. lol

My advice is not to push it, as I found with Brooke if I pushed her towards the potty she took leaps backwards. When Emma is ready to lose the diaper, she'll let you know.
September 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been putting her on the potty every few hours during the day the past few days and she's gone pee on the potty twice so far. So far she seems to like it, she gets excited and runs to the potty chair when I say "it's potty time." So things are going well so far.

September 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SilverRose Send a message via Yahoo to SilverRose
I started Shar when she was 8 months old. She always woke up from naps dry, so I got a potty chair and every day after naps, I'd put her on it and she'd pee. She peed the first time I put her on it. She got this look on her face, like she found out something new. From then on, I put her on it when she got up in the morning, after naps, and before bed. I didn't do rewards, just the fact that she peed in the potty was enough for her. She started walking when she was about 9 1/2 months old. That's when I started the potty training in full force. I'd leave the potty out and leave her naked and she'd go when she wanted to go. Sometimes we'd have accidents. I didn't push potty training, but she knew when she had to go and she'd go. By the time she was 18 months, she was fully potty trianed, waking up dry in the morning. She had the flu just before her dad and I split up and I never once had a poopy diaper to clean up. She would go straight to the bathroom and demand to be put on the potty. Her dad and I split up at that time and within a month all my hard work was gone. Her dad wasn't consistent like i was . So over a year later.. we are potty trained. Working on night training, that went out the window when he got his new girlfriend. I used to be able to put her to bed in underwear and she'd get up in the middle of the night and pee, but the new girlfriend and his attitude ruined that for me. But I'm getting her back on track. Just remember if you have something new in the household it could cause them to regress..

Thank you, Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search