New With Questions

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 05:33 AM
MommyParrish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies I'm new to this board, I've been lurking for a few days. My daughter Avery will be 19 months on Sunday. I'm a teacher and have this week off for Fall break so I've decided to officially start potty training. We've had the potty since the beginning of the Summer and is very comfortable with using it. Anytime we asked her to go pee pee she would go. She has yet to tell us she needed to go. Yesterday was our first day off either being naked of having big girl panties on. From 8 to bed a 7 she had around 5 accidents but went pee pee in the potty 6-7 times. We prompted her to go each time. I was just wondering from BTDT ladies what did the first couple of days to week look like for you LO? TIA

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The first couple of days looked like a big mess, lol!

At least for my kids, you have to prompt them in the beginning. They will not think to go to the potty by themselves. After a while and a lot of successes they start to get the hang of it. Like you, I started early (off and on) and Cassidy is just now able to go to the potty every time without reminders and without help. She'll be 3 next month.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
Here's what I did:

Put her on potty AS SOON as she wakes up
Put her on potty AS SOON as she is done eating
If she doesn't go after meal, put on every 15 minutes until she does. If she had a lot of fluid then continue to put on every 15 minutes. Otherwise put her on every half hour.

I leave him naked most of the time, unless I am not able to watch him. This is the only way to know exactly when he goes.

The first few catches are going to just be a fluke, but then you have a huge celebration so she will start to make the connection that it is a good thing. You could reward with a smartie or something if you want.

After one week of leaving him naked and doing full time potty training he made huge progress. He was 9.5 months. Still lots of accidents, but I could see he was making the connection. He would look down there or put his hand down there and I could see he was starting to make the connection.

I would load your daughter up with fluids and for the next hour keep her in an area where you can have accidents. Keep her naked from the waste down and just keep putting her on the potty, even every 10 minutes. You know after drinking that much fluid, much of it needs to come out in the next hour. Every time she goes pee or poop (even if it is on the floor) say to her "you are peeing" or "you are going poop". Try to have a key phrase every time you want her to go, like "Time to go Potty".

If you can continue to leave her naked, it will make things faster as you will learn her patterns faster and can give instant feedback. Don't be surprised if she pees 4 times in a row all 2 minutes apart. My son did this and I was shocked. It is just because they are used to going whenever they feel like it in a diaper and give no thought to holding it. After a week or two, that stopped.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search