Undies or pull ups?!

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone, I'm new here but not to JM. I'm in both the Sept 08 PR and Feb '11 DDC.

Anyway, I'm PT'ing my 2 year old daughter (turned 2 on the 19th). She has shown all the signs of being ready, and she will pee on the toilet. I'm a SAHM, so I'm home with her all the time, so I figured I'd just put her in undies and see how it goes. I put her in a pull up for nap, and diaper for bedtime. She wakes up dry from most naps, and just a bit wet in the morning.

Yesterday she did pretty well for the first day - 5 pees in the toilet, and 4 or 5 accidents (2 of them poop). She won't tell me when she needs to go, she'll just go and tell me after. I was by her side all day, so during each accident I was able to catch her and carry her to the toilet. This morning she wanted nothing to do with the toilet, I didn't force her, and she ended up peeing on the floor after wanting off and on the toilet a few times.

Who here is going straight to undies and who has used pull ups? I think if after a week we have made no progress in undies, I will start using pull ups just to take some of the pressure off, then maybe go back to undies only in another month or so. I've never PT'd before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing and need advice!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
September 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
We went totally cold turkey. No diapers (and I still consider pull-ups diapers they do the same thing as a diaper and don't help enough in helping them to recognize they are wet) and we went naked at home so he would get instant feedback and be able to see what is going on, and so could we. After he got the hang of things a bit we put him into underwear. We had him in a diaper at night, we are currently working on night training now though I think. It has been about two months since we started potty training. He is forever waking up at night freaking out for now reason and I think it's because he needs to go and doesn't want to wet his diaper... The one night he slept through the night he woke up dry. Last night we went without a diaper and he woke up every three hours and I would put him on the toilet, he would pee and then pass right back out so I think I have found the culprit... Hopefully I don't have to get him up every three hours... He has water in bed with him at night though so I think cutting that out will help with that? I hope? lol

Anyway, all that said (sorry I am a big time rambler) good luck with your choice and with the whole process!

Thought I would add this too, I think this website has a great method for potty training and what we did was very similar. I really liked the approach. Potty Training Raising Rocco

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; September 28th, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
September 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! So far we've just been in undies. The only exception was last night when I had to go to midwives appointment, I put her in a pull up - I had to wait over 30 min to get in, then the app't was 45 minutes long....needless to say she had peed in her pull up by the time we got home even though we took her to the bathroom there (she wouldn't pee) - BUT, yesterday was only day 2 of potty training. I'm planning on staying home this whole week and letting her just be in undies. Next week if we have to go out, she'll wear a pull up while we're out.

September 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SilverRose Send a message via Yahoo to SilverRose
I introduced potty training when my daughter was 8 months, and she took to it very quickly. I only went through maybe 2 or 3 diapers a day. When she could walk it really took off. I had put her in panties and for some reason she thought she could pee in them. So I took the panties and the diapers away during the day and let her run around with just a shirt on or naked. We still had accidents maybe 2 to 4 accidents a day. She was fully trained by 16 months, because I wasn't pushing her, i was letting her go at her own pace. Well at 16 months her dad and I split up and her potty training went out the window. Took me a year to get her back on track. But she is basically fully trained during the day and she was night trained but I don't know what happened to that. So we are working on night training again. She has maybe 1 to 3 accidents a week, and generally only if I'm not paying attention or if she is wearing panties and falls asleep in the carseat if she wakes up before we are close to a bathroom she'll have an accident. but i'm working on that. Sorry that was a lot, but that's how it worked for us. we didn't start doing panties until she started to get the idea that she had to pull her pants down to go potty. Cuz sometimes she'd leave her undies on and sit on the toilet and pee. It was comical after the fact, cuz she couldn't figure out why she was wet. lol

Thank you, Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature.

September 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SilverRose Send a message via Yahoo to SilverRose
I introduced potty training when my daughter was 8 months, and she took to it very quickly. I only went through maybe 2 or 3 diapers a day. When she could walk it really took off. I had put her in panties and for some reason she thought she could pee in them. So I took the panties and the diapers away during the day and let her run around with just a shirt on or naked. We still had accidents maybe 2 to 4 accidents a day. She was fully trained by 16 months, because I wasn't pushing her, i was letting her go at her own pace. Well at 16 months her dad and I split up and her potty training went out the window. Took me a year to get her back on track. But she is basically fully trained during the day and she was night trained but I don't know what happened to that. So we are working on night training again. She has maybe 1 to 3 accidents a week, and generally only if I'm not paying attention or if she is wearing panties and falls asleep in the carseat if she wakes up before we are close to a bathroom she'll have an accident. but i'm working on that. Sorry that was a lot, but that's how it worked for us. we didn't start doing panties until she started to get the idea that she had to pull her pants down to go potty. Cuz sometimes she'd leave her undies on and sit on the toilet and pee. It was comical after the fact, cuz she couldn't figure out why she was wet. lol

Thank you, Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature.

October 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just went straight to undies... I figured pull ups are expensive, and almost like diapers. He did great with peeing. He's still pooping on himself and has only pooped on the potty less than 10 times!!!! =((((( It's still a struggle, and I find myself getting VERY frustrated and yelling, which I know is horriblee..... but I've just been dealing with this for so long it seems.... =(

Within the past 5 days, he has been having a lot of peeing accidents as well... I'm really upset and more scared than anything. I'm afraid he has diabetes. I worry and jump to conclusions a lot... He goes to the dr on the 11th. There is nothing external going on that would cause him stress and cause him to regress. So I have no idea why he's doing it other than a medical reason. I hope I'm just over reacting.

October 1st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I decided to stick with undies only, and she only wears a pull up if we go out (which we haven't been since I'm super dedicated to PT'ing right now) and for naps. Today was day 5, and only 1 pee accident. She isn't afraid to poop in the toilet either, but I have to catch her at the EXACT right time or else she does it in her undies. Luckily she goes at the same time each day, so I know when to watch her. She also won't tell me yet when she has to go, I have to remind her every 40 minutes or so. If she says she doesn't have to go, I don't push her at all. If she has to go, normally she'll say yes when I ask her.

We've made A LOT of progress since day 1 - she was having 6-7 accidents day 1 and 2. She did great on day 3, then not as well yesterday, then today she did amazing. I know it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back, so I'm just trying to be super patient.

October 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karie1210 View Post
I just went straight to undies... I figured pull ups are expensive, and almost like diapers. He did great with peeing. He's still pooping on himself and has only pooped on the potty less than 10 times!!!! =((((( It's still a struggle, and I find myself getting VERY frustrated and yelling, which I know is horriblee..... but I've just been dealing with this for so long it seems.... =(

Within the past 5 days, he has been having a lot of peeing accidents as well... I'm really upset and more scared than anything. I'm afraid he has diabetes. I worry and jump to conclusions a lot... He goes to the dr on the 11th. There is nothing external going on that would cause him stress and cause him to regress. So I have no idea why he's doing it other than a medical reason. I hope I'm just over reacting.
How often are you taking him to the bathroom? Is the weather cooling down at all? I have noticed my boys need to go more often when its cooler outside.
October 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh my goodness... it HAS been cooler lately!!!! Wow, I hadn't even thought of that... because last winter he was still in diapers so I probably didn't notice! Thanks!!!

I hope that is the reason... that does calm me down a bit, lol. But I'm still a little worried, because even after he wets himself, I will bring him to the potty right after, and he still seems to go a lot.

Also, tonight when I got home from school, I got his pj's to change him for bedtime and noticed he was wet! He had been sitting on the sofa under a blanket watching TV. And my dad said he had just brought him to the potty not too long ago =(

October 6th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karie1210 View Post
oh my goodness... it HAS been cooler lately!!!! Wow, I hadn't even thought of that... because last winter he was still in diapers so I probably didn't notice! Thanks!!!

I hope that is the reason... that does calm me down a bit, lol. But I'm still a little worried, because even after he wets himself, I will bring him to the potty right after, and he still seems to go a lot.

Also, tonight when I got home from school, I got his pj's to change him for bedtime and noticed he was wet! He had been sitting on the sofa under a blanket watching TV. And my dad said he had just brought him to the potty not too long ago =(

Honestly I would try not to worry. I notice that my kids have to pee alot more when its cold outside. I know I am the same way. When it is hot you are sweating more so usually do not go as often but when its cold your not. I have noticed for myself since its cold I have to get up at night to pee most nights. Even my 5 yr old who barely pees during the night ( He is in diapers at bedtime. He has Autism so potty training is harder) peed through his diaper last night.
October 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rachel is undies at home and pullups when we are out. She knows when to go and will tell us even when we are out but she has a fear of public bathrooms. She hears the flush and how it echos and it scares her so she will start screaming when she hears a flush. We will try to take her in if on one else is in there but if there is a flush she is done. I never liked doing pullups but I can't think of any other options at this point.
October 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is pretty much just in underwear. I saw the price of pull-ups and preferred to spend that on underwear.
She wears a diaper at the sitter (she still won't go there) and until recently, I would put her in a diaper when we went out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search