Want to start PT (again)

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Ambie213's Avatar Plus Size Mommies co-host
Hello! I have a 21 month old DS who I would love to start really PTing. When he had just turned 1, we would sit on the potty quite often and he would go on the potty. It was more my timing than him being able to actually control anything. Over the summer, I would let him run around w/o a diaper and if he started to pee, I'd put him on the potty. But he would freak out, cry, and scream when I put him on the potty and he'd stop going. I noticed that when he had his diaper off sometimes, he would go a little...2-3mins later he'd go a little more...then 2-3 mins a little more. It was suggested to me to stop PT for the time being because he may not have the bladder control.
Now that we're expecting #2 in April, I'd really like to get him PT'd and out of diapers. The problem I'm running into is that he refuses to sit on he potty at all. He'll sit for 3-4 secs then get up and run. I don't want him to be scared of the potty, so I don't want to force him. He knows when he's gone to the bathroom and he (usually) tells me or tugs at his diaper. I just have no idea how to attempt... should I reward or not? He loves m & Ms and putting money in his bank, so that's an incentive, but I don't know if that's a good approach. It's getting cold, so I don't know how well running around w/o a diaper would be... should I put his potty in the living room where he spends most of his time or put it in the bathroom? I think part of it is that he's afraid he's missing something by going in to the bathroom.... I just don't know! I am open to any and all suggestions! I appreciate your help and input!

Thank you Vicki... for my siggie!

October 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SilverRose Send a message via Yahoo to SilverRose
do you have a man in the household? maybe he would respond better if he could be like daddy or some other man he looks up too. I know people who tried to get their boys to sit on the potty and when they enlisted the help of a guy the potty training went alot easier. And rewards are great incentives. I did that in the beginning with my daughter. She would get 1 sticker for pee and 2 for poop and she loved to put the sticker on the paper. Just a couple of ideas, I'm not sure how to potty train a boy, I just know what I've heard. Good luck.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature.

October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try making potty time a game. I know my mom when potty training my brother would put cherrios in the toilot and tell him to try to hit the cheerios with his pee. Making it like a game worked for him. Maybe it will work for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search