Getting so frusterated - 4 yr having "accidents"

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
I don't know what else to do and I am hoping someone will have some advice.
My almost 4 year old daughter is still having a lot of accidents. She poops in the potty fine, never had a problem with that but she has about 4 or 5 accidents in a day. She stays dry all day when she is in school twice a week but not at home or anywhere other than school. It is driving me crazy and I am getting flack from family for "not doing enough." I am doing everything that I can think of. I have tried rewarding her for going, praising her for going, having her change herself when he goes in her pants, talking to her, reminding her every 20 minutes to check with her body.... I just don't know what else to do.... we have even tried a calendar and if she has a dry day she gets to put a sticker on it at the end of the day, after a week of dry days she gets a potty prize. She has not had more than 2 days in a row with stickers. Does anyone have any advice....success stories...anything that might help.
Thank you in advance.

November 4th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Bristol's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lurking here.. i have no advice, but maybe an idea really. My 5 year old brother in law started having accidents when my daughter was born. she was at his house a lot. I heard when a new sibling comes along they will have accidents for jealousy or other reasons. That could possibly be a reason. I have no advice sorry, im trying to potty train my 1 year old.
November 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a couple questions.
1. is she in a pullup?
2. Does she have access to the potty everywhere she goes?
3. Do you watch to see what she is doing when she has accidents?

The reason I ask is Rachel will just go in a pullup because it keeps her dry. Rachel always has access to a potty wherever we go but is scared of the automatic flushes on toilots. And if she is watching TV or playing she will not stop for a potty break.I have caught on to these things so I will not let her wear a pullup in the house, We try to take her to the potty before and after we go to the store, and if she is playing or watching TV I will make her stop every 30 minuites to take a potty break. If she says No I will not let her watch anymore Tv untill she goes. Hopefully this helps.
November 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
scrapbug's Avatar Regular
A couple of things that I would suggest:
1. Make sure she is in panites ALL the time but when asleep.
2. Set a timer.....sit her first thing when she wakes up, dry or wet. If she goes on the potty set the timer for 45 mins to an hour. If not set the timer for 15 mins. Make the connection that when the timer goes off she HAS to go try to potty. If she potties this time, set the timer for 45 mins to an hour, and if not 15 mins until she either goes in the potty or in her pants.
3. When she goes in her pants have her do ALL the work herself. No talking other than to tell her what she needs to do. Tell her once. Go get a change of clothes. Take off your wet clothes. And so on. One direction at a time, but NO other conversation.
4. When she does go have some small reward. A sticker or piece of candy or something that she ONLY gets when she goes potty.
Slowly she will get to the point where you don't have to set the timer anymore.
Hope that helps. This system has worked WONDERS at the daycare center that I work in. Of course we have a few modifications, like we have to get their clothes for them, but I do not talk to them or change them, and they are only 3. The biggest thing is making sure while she is awake that she is in panties or nothing at all but definitely not a pull up while awake.
Also if you think it is something you want to try, search the 3 day potty training method. It is A LOT of work and you have to stay inside the house for most of the three days but it works!!

November 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
1. is she in a pullup? - Only at night, we keep her in paties during the day no matter what during the da even if she needs to change multiple time during the day.

2. Does she have access to the potty everywhere she goes? - Yes she does, so has no problems going in public washrooms.

3. Do you watch to see what she is doing when she has accidents? - Usually she is playing and just doesn't stop.

I am going to try the timer method with her and see if it works. She does change herself completely when she has an accident. We try to make as little of an incident of it as possible so she is not getting the attention from it.

Thnak you for your responses. I am sooooooo tired of this. I have just started potty training my 2 year old, hopefully the two of them will help train each other.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search