new here with question

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I'm at my wits end! A year ago my 3 year old DD was diagnosed with chronic constipation. She was so backed up that she ended up in the hospital for 3 days. Since then the pedi put her on PEG powder to help her have loser BMs. It'b been going okay and we managed to partly potty train her this summer...meaning that she will pee in the toilet and she was even dry at night. However she will not poop in the toilet. I stopped counting how many loads of laundry I had to do in a day because of her pooping in her underwear. Anyway, I can deal with that.
However, for some reason the past couple of weeks she stopped pooping at all. Her problem is that she refuses to push it out. She will cry and cry - obviously it's hurting cause it's trying to come out - yet she will hold it in and rather deal with the pain than to push it out. GRRRRRR!!!!! She drives me nuts.
It's gotten so bad that she didn't have a BM for 7 days and I had to give her a different laxitive to hopefully make her go. She's been eating prunes and broccoli, apples etc. Nothing seems to work on her.
HELP!!! How do you get a 3 year old to push it out when she doesn't want to?? I've tried everything from bribery to rewards to getting angry to scaring her and I just hate to see her cry and be in pain.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
poor baby! thats sounds awful, i know how horrible constipation is. i would maybe chat to her doc, to see if there isnt an underlying issue. maybe it is just so backed up that it is sore to push it out.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My friend has a boy with chronic constipation. When he was 3 she had the same problem. I will tell you it got worse before it got better. What we did was get a childrens fleets enema. We would lay him on the bathroom floor on a towel, Give him the enema and wait one minuite. We then would sit him on the potty and wait for him to go because the enemas work in 10 minuites. We done this 3 times a week per his GI doctors reccomendation. One day I tried to just take him in the bathroom and let him alone. He sat in the bathroom for a half hour and then came out and said he pooped. There may have only beed a little ball of poop but it was a start. We quit with the enemas and just let him go on his own. It took two years to fully poop in the potty because he just has so much abdominal pain it hurts him to poop but he is poo trained now.He also takes PEG and MOM every other day.
November 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by challowell View Post
My friend has a boy with chronic constipation. When he was 3 she had the same problem. I will tell you it got worse before it got better. What we did was get a childrens fleets enema. We would lay him on the bathroom floor on a towel, Give him the enema and wait one minuite. We then would sit him on the potty and wait for him to go because the enemas work in 10 minuites. We done this 3 times a week per his GI doctors reccomendation. One day I tried to just take him in the bathroom and let him alone. He sat in the bathroom for a half hour and then came out and said he pooped. There may have only beed a little ball of poop but it was a start. We quit with the enemas and just let him go on his own. It took two years to fully poop in the potty because he just has so much abdominal pain it hurts him to poop but he is poo trained now.He also takes PEG and MOM every other day.
Thanks for your info. Unfortunately the fleet enima doesn't work on my DD. We've tried that already. She did end up pooping eventually and I am surprised to say that she managed to get a huge and hard poop out in her pull up. She cried when it came out, so I guess it must have gotten really solid in there. We are keeping her on the PEG powder and so far she's been doing okay, but no toilet, just in her pull ups. Oh well....one battle at a time. Eventually she'll poo in the toilet..right? I'm just happy she's pooing at all.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
glad to hear she got it out! it must be so hard to see her like that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad to hear that she went.It is a battle and it is difficult to try to get them to go potty because they know it hurts them to try.
November 29th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could have written this post word for word, except my son is 2.5 and he just recently has decided to not poop. He just won't push it out. Yesterday was 5 days of no pooping until I finally dropped and gave him a liquid suppository. It still didn't work the way I expected it to.... He screamed and cried so hard he was shaking and sweating . I felt so bad for him, but it is so frustrating because he is choosing not to push it out, ya know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search