Methods

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is your method of potty training?

Do you take them every half an hour or every hour or wait to have them tell you?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

December 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm curious to the methods being used so I'm bumping this in hopes of a response.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I wrote this in a post a while ago so I will copy and paste... and then update it

"We did the naked method. My son is about 17 and a half months old and we have him naked all day at hom with the potty seat in the front room. If he started to pee we would put him on the potty and say "we pee on the potty not on the floor!" but in an encouraging and not angry way. He caught on fairly quickly and eventually started to pee on the potty on his own. He would go and sit on it and go. Sometimes he would go and sit on it and try to go too Any time he would try he would get lots of excited praise, if he produced it got even more excited! When he went we would walk with him to the big toilet to dump out the pee, he would drop some toilet paper in the toilet (he would get his own square to throw in which he loved) and help flush it down, etc. After maybe four or five days he started to have very few misses and although I do remind him sometimes to go he often does it on his own now. After close to a week we have him in underwear and when he goes to sit down I pull them down for him. So far after a day and a half no wet underwear and barely any reminding. No bribery needed so far! He eats up the excitement he starts when he produces and he beams with pride on his own when he goes. So far so good! I know it will take time to really be solid but so far so good!"

My son is now almost 22 months old and we also had a baby almost 2 months ago. He is still doing great, in underwear full time day and night. Because he doesn't talk I am trying to teach him to sign potty so it is easier for others to take him since you need to know his signals when he needs to go. The method we used worked really well and we did it for pooping as well and it took a little longer but he did catch on. It was also easier to tell he was going to poop so as far as mess it was no big deal. He started to prefer going on the big potty for a while but is getting into the little potty again because he can do everything all on his own which he likes, and he sees his baby brother using it (we are doing Elimination Communication with our new addition. It is actually very similar in method to how we trained our older son.) We also always make sure to take him to the bathroom right before we leave, when we get to our destination and before we leave again if it has been a while. We carry a potty chair in our car too for just in case and it has been very, very handy. We never followed a clock with the potty we just learned his cues for when he needed to go and paid attention to those, they are now very easy to tell when he needs to go and he makes it very obvious to us so we can take him.
December 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
I'm expecting a baby in April, so I decided that 2.5 weeks ago that I wanted my step-daughter potty trained asap. She was not really showing the typical signs of a child who was ready to potty train aside from being able to follow "very simple" directions. She didn't often complain about being in wet/dirty diapers, except for the occasional "change me".

We started on a Saturday almost 3 weeks ago. I woke her up and put her on the potty, had her put on some big girl panties and left her in a shirt and panties all day. We went to the potty about every 30 minutes then down to every hour and I would run the water.
We basically did this for two straight days; she had one accident on each day but managed to stay dry right up until bedtime. Everytime we would get a pee on the potty, I would let her pick out a sticker to put on her chart.

I kept her home from daycare on Monday and for the remainder of the week. The first couple of days was constant reminders and putting her on the potty each hour. She caught on really quick and did really well. Until I asked her grandma to come over and babysit for two hours while I attended my prenatal group. Jas had an accident. She was given a treat by Grandma for the accident; Dh and I decided that this would not be a regular occurance with the babysitting because we dont' want to be reinforcing her peeing in her pants.
Later that day, she told me that she needed to go to the potty three times and she peed and I showed her how to wipe; she went a fourth time and pooped on the potty.
She did amazing Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. On Friday, I bought a foldable potty seat so that we could attempt to go out after being stuck in the house all week. She was not comfortable going on other toilets and held her pee till we got home. All week, she was peeing and pooping on the toilet, many of the times were initiated by herself.
On Sunday, her grandma watched her for four hours so that dh and I could go Christmas shopping. Jasmine pooped in her pants.

The following week which was last week, Jasmine went back to daycare starting on Monday. She went all week and came home in the same clothes/panties that I sent her in. She peed and pooped many times each day at her daycare, and even remained dry during their walks.

It will be 3 weeks on Saturday since I began potty training her and the only accidents that she has had were the ones with grandma. We still put a diaper on her at night and I am pretty sure it is completely dry when I wake her up in the morning. Each morning, I wake her up and we go right to the toilets and pee together.
In 2 weeks, dh and I are going to buy a plastic sheet and see about her nighttime training.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search