Hello. New to this stuff!

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
Hi my name is Marialena, I have a daughter who is 19 months old now and started wanting to potty train about a month ago. I am also pregnant and due about new years. My daughter loves to sit on the potty and now goes 4-6 times a day however she says she needs to go and insists on sitting on the potty probably 15-30 times a day...

I am wondering if anyone else has such a young child insisting on potty training and how it is going. I also am wondering about anyone who has had a newly potty trained child and then introduced a new baby. Any advice would be helpful I feel like I am going crazy and I really don't know how to approach the situation, I am just trying to support her efforts at this time and I don't want to discourage her enthusiasum...

Thanks in advance

November 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I started to potty train my son when he was a little over 17 months. It was my idea though, he didn't know anything about the potty really until I introduced it but he took to it very well. I was pregnant when I started (at that point about 6 or 7 months?) and when our baby came along he did have more accidents but we just stayed consistent and he got back to where he was previously. The baby is now about 5.5 weeks old and things are totally fine with his potty training.

On the 15-30 times a day thing, I noticed that with my son too. I think part of it is the excitement over a new skill and seeing how excited it makes you. I also think part of it is that she is still working on bladder control. Children get so used to just going whenever they need to go in a diaper that they just pee in small amount almost constantly. There is no need to ever hold it. As she continues to learn to use the potty she will pee less often and in larger quantities. That's at least what happened with my son. He can hold it a long time now and when he pees it's A LOT when before it was just a little bit ALL THE TIME. It was super tiring (especially while pregnant) but as I said it does get better.

My son is now 21 months old and day and night trained (the night was actually not on purpose I had planned on waiting to do that but it happened anyway which is fine by me). He is in underwear full time and has been what I would consider "trained" for a couple months now for day and night. It was much easier than I had imagined it to be but was still exhausting in it's own right (particularly with being pregnant.) Glad I did though If you have any questions let me know!
November 30th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks your experience is inspiring. How often did you offer toileting or did you just let him guide the timing?

November 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I didn't use a timer at all. We stuck in one room with the potty out with him naked from the waist down. We went cold turkey on diapers from day one, except for naps and bed time. When he would start peeing I would put him on the potty and tell him pee goes in the potty, not on the floor. He would get TONS of praise for whatever made it in the potty and we would dump it in the toilet together and wave bye, flush, etc and he loved that. It did have some cleaning up at first but he caught on very quickly. He eventually started sitting on it and peeing all on his own and accidents became fewer over time. It also really helped me to figure out his cues for when he needed to go. He is not really verbal so he couldn't just tell me he had to go. I wish now we had done some baby signing with him so he could just sign when he needs to go, I think I will do that with this baby. Once he started trying to hold it and would need to go he would start to kind of crouch a bit and stuff and then I knew we needed to get him to the potty, now he will sometimes bang on the bathroom door (he doesn't use the little potty anymore, prefers the big one.) I always put him on before we leave to go somewhere, when we get there and before we go. I also have a little potty in the car in case of emergency if there isn't a toilet around (parks and such or a long drive, or if the bathroom is just disgusting.) Some websites I found useful (not a lot of resources for training a child at this age, it's all either for infant training or older children it seems) are...

Potty Training Raising Rocco
A Bushel and a Peck: diary of potty training an 18 month old...

I especially liked the second one because she was about as far along in her pregnancy as I was so it was nice to go and read when I was having a hard day of it, even though there aren't a ton of entries on the training.

The first link was just helpful. It is very similar to what we did but we didn't do any videos or anything. I found it after we had started. I like it a lot though it is also very encouraging.
November 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Very cool, I will be going out to get her some underware tomorrow! I have been keeping her in her daipers and just using them as "pull-ups" I think this may go very quick since she wants to use the potty...

December 1st, 2010, 05:34 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
My daughter will be 19 months on the 16th and we are going to do a potty training weekend over new years. I am not pregnant but I would say go for it now. Even if she does regress a bit after the baby comes, you will still have all the positives of training early.

December 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
6 days since we went all big girl panties and we haven't had an accident for the last 2 days! I am using diapers for outings and nap time but still the last two days they have stayed dry. This is great

December 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Awesome! Sounds like she is really getting the hang of things I am so glad she is doing such a good job!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search