Trying to potty train 2 kids. One with autism spectrum

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
My 3 1/2 year old has Autism Spectrum Disorder along with a few undiagnosed (as his Dr and therapist put it) neurological problems that can sometimes cause vision problems and fine motor skill problems. This does not really seem to effect him much though. I should mention that he is high functioning and mostly social. Though he has interaction problems.

My 2 year old will copy the 3 year old. So the key is the 3 year old.

Anyway, the minions father and I are divorced. My BF has been great and will take them into the bathroom and show them how to potty. Here is the issue.... Their Father. Their father is hearing impaired (which should not really be the issue he makes it) and he is not a very hands on parent. He is quite impatient with my eldest. He does not give the minions a chance to respond when he tells them something and then yells at them. He can be quite harsh. This causes an issue with my eldest. I have had him back slide many times and refuse to even wear pull ups or tell me if he poos. SEVERAL TIMES. I have tried talking with their father and he denies it. Luckily he has been seeing them less (his choice).

So Clark is now up to sitting 30 seconds on the potty and once in a while telling me when he went potty. Still, sometimes he has meltdowns over wanting to be changed or take off his pants. I know not to push the point with him or we will back slide.

Their father sees them this weekend.....

Clark responds well to praise and a treat. But I fear yet another backslide. Which then his brother does not want to potty train because Clark isn't.

Anyone have any tips or have a child like my eldest? I am not worried about the 2 year old. But Clark, I have had him so close to going on the potty so many times only to have a complete backslide and have to start over.

tips?
January 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The baby's father has to get on board. I have 2 girls ages 3 and 20 months. I hae a ittle potty and a potty seat on the regular potty. Both of my girls will go potty together. I know of people making peeing in the potty a game for boys. You put a couple cherrios in the toilot and hae him try to "sink them", basically pee on them. I also hae a sticker chart and for each time they go potty they get a sticker. After they get to 20 stickers they get to go to the store and pick out something. I usually let them pick out supper.

I would guess that your oldest is feeling discouraged that he does not get the praise at his father's that you give him so he backtracks so he gets more attention. This all will come with time and patience.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search