How Young is Too Young?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM
fka lmsan
Hello all!

My son (Darius) is turning one this month and DH and I have discussed trying to introduce the potty very soon. Darius absolutely HATES diaper changes (I'm sure like many kids), and has pretty good communication and understanding of things. I'd like to at least try introducing him to going in the potty, though wouldn't push it since he is so young. Below are some of the reasons I think he may take an interest in potty training, but would really like your thoughts on training so young and I would also like to know if anyone here has trained their kids (boys in particular) before 2.

- He is a very sturdy walker/runner
- He can communicate "yes" by saying either "uh", "yeah", or occassionally "yes".
- Last weekend we stayed at my mother's house and he went into another room away from everyone whenever he had to poop
- He has taken an interest in the big potty and DH has explained what goes on in there.
- He understands where the bathroom and potty are, and so far has picked up on how to do things extremely quickly.

And also, DH is home with him all day, so we don't have the concerns with daycare, etc. I am also wondering if you think having a little potty in the bathroom begining now, along with talking about it and asking him if he wants to use it or has to go to the bathroom is a good idea without actually doing disciplined training right now.

Thanks so much for any help/tips/thoughts you can share with me!!

Big Brother Darius excited for the arrival of
Marcus and Sophie
January 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jamie started potty training at 18 months old. If he is showing the signs then it will not hurt to let him try.
January 11th, 2011, 04:39 AM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
I got DD a little potty when she was one, she thought it was the best toy. We recently tried a potty training weekend, it didnt work for us. But she now sits on the potty several times a day, I figure it doesnt hurt to try.

January 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Regular
Babies can't control their bodies at one. I think it's called a sphincter muscle.

Remember that you want this to be a positive experience for both you and your one year old. You also want your child to know that he or she is in charge of his body - and not mom or dad. I tried to start my son potty training around 18 months, he would scream and cry. now at two year old we started again and he pees in the potty, but will not poop in it yet....

You can do research on "elimination communication". It has to do with potty training infants.

January 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
There is no such thing as "too young" if you ask me. I started my son at about 17.5 months and he will be 23 months on the 25th of this month. We have the little potty chair in our living room and if left naked waist down he sits and goes all on his own and brings us the insert to dump it. He can't work his pants yet but we are working with him on that. He is very non verbal but understands us very well. The way we did this with him is actually (looking back now) pretty much elimination communication (EC). He has over time become more and more independent in going on his own. He doesn't verbally tell us he needs to go yet but he does show us by doing a little potty dance and calling our attention to it. He is now in underwear day and night, although the night training just kind of happened on it's own with him much to my surprise within a couple of weeks of him catching on to the day training!

I am currently doing EC with my newest baby, we started him at about 6 weeks old and he will be three months on the 21st. It's truly amazing to me. I did it just as an experiment and was totally sold after just a couple of days. He really truly does signal when he needs to go, for peeing and pooping. He now will start to really fuss at me to give him an opportunity to potty. When he gets on there he smiles really big and is instantly relaxed after. He signals me with enough time to take off his clothes and open up his diaper and put him over something to go in. After doing this I know without a doubt that babies really are born with an awareness of their elimination and I feel a responsibility to make sure he retains that awareness considering I am perfectly cpapable of doing so. I am a stay at home mom and I can do it full time, but even part time has many benefits. Definitely worth looking into, you can start it at any age and at 12 months for potty training that's really the best way to approach it. With my oldest we would put him on the potty when he started to go or when we noticed him showing signs he would go (naked training helps you to pick up on their signals best) and tell him that was where the pee went and he picked it up really quick. It was still a bumpy process for a while (good days followed by some bad then a leap forward, etc) but it was so worth it. let me know if you want to know more about EC It's pretty awesome

I feel like doing things the way we did made it much less of a to do then formal potty training with timers, going every 30 mins when the timer goes off, bribery, negotiating, etc. It's just something you do, which is true. It's a natural thing that everyone does and I feel it just kind of helps then naturally transition to being completely independent with it.

Sorry so long, just my personal feelings on the matter Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; January 11th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
January 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
leslie_512's Avatar Member
My daughter was completely pt'd by 17 months. Zak is now 17 months and he is no where near ready.

I don't think there is anything as too young..it all depends on the child.

January 19th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Veteran
my daughter turned one yesterday, ive just started to introduce the potty to her in the last couple of days. il tale off her nappy and sit her on it and tell her that 'wees go in there" and distract her with toys while on there in the hope that it will just happen so she can get the biggest praise. she finds it very amusing and has fun doing it. i dont expect her to pee/poop in it right now but am introducing it now so that when time comes she not afraid. goodluck!
January 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
fka lmsan
Thanks for all the tips and advice!!

I think I'll go buy him a potty for his birthday (Friday), though DH thought it was wrong to give him one as a present.

I'd like to start without any expectations and just see how he does. If he wants nothing at all to do with it, I'm fine with that too. Like some of the other ladies have done, I'll be happy with him just getting introduced to the potty and sitting on it from time to time. I have no idea how peeing will work but he's very clear when he's going to start pooping, so I think I could get him on it and do a little cheer for him if it works! He responds extremely well to positive reinforcement.

Quote:
I did it just as an experiment and was totally sold after just a couple of days. He really truly does signal when he needs to go, for peeing and pooping. He now will start to really fuss at me to give him an opportunity to potty. When he gets on there he smiles really big and is instantly relaxed after. He signals me with enough time to take off his clothes and open up his diaper and put him over something to go in.
That's so amazing!! I had wanted to try EC after I read about it years ago, but when I actually became a mother it seemed way too difficult to attempt, especially with two working parents (my son was in daycare until 9 months old). I think everyone has a tendancy to underestimate how much babies can understand and communicate when you really "listen".

Big Brother Darius excited for the arrival of
Marcus and Sophie
January 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran
hey all some exciting news!!! my daughter just went poos on the potty! there never to young! i have been sitting her on the potty a couple times a day and it must be paying off. whats EC? lol im so happy!
January 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoo2010 View Post
hey all some exciting news!!! my daughter just went poos on the potty! there never to young! i have been sitting her on the potty a couple times a day and it must be paying off. whats EC? lol im so happy!
EC = Elimination Communication. Here is an overview of the philosophies of EC as written here... Mission and Philosophies - DiaperFreeBaby Because it's just easier to copy and paste than try to write it all up on my own, and I am lazy... lol!

* Babies are aware of their elimination needs from birth and communicate about those needs through various vocal and bodily signals. Within the first few months of life, babies have the ability to consciously release their bladders and bowels. By taking them to appropriate elimination places during infancy, we enable them to maintain a connection with their bodily sensations and learn from an early age what to do when they experience those sensations.

* Elimination Communication should always be gentle, non-coercive, and based on babies' interests and needs. Communication is the most important aspect of Elimination Communication, and should be the focus.

* Elimination Communication is begun in infancy - starting as early as possible is recommended. After one year, Elimination Communication principles can be applied to toilet learning.

* Practicing Elimination Communication allows families to avoid struggles sometimes associated with diaper changes and toilet training. Elimination Communication can also account for and reduce some "unexplained" fussiness in infants, and eliminate diaper rash.

* Elimination Communication can be done using diapers all of the time, some of the time, or not at all. By reducing the number of diapers used, Elimination Communication provides a more environmentally-sound option than conventional cloth or disposable diapering.

* Elimination Communication can be practiced full-time or part-time, by stay-at-home parents or by working parents. Elimination Communication can be practiced by people of all income levels and physical abilities.

* Prompt loving attention to our babies' needs promotes strong baby-parent bonds, fulfilling natural human instincts. The bond of trust built through feeding and comforting is strengthened when caregivers respond to the baby's elimination needs. Elimination Communication helps strengthen communication with our babies and is consistent with Attachment Parenting practices.
January 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran
oh cool thanks! will definatly try it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search